Since when is Miguel Cabrera not getting any press for his Triple Crown?

Oct 4, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

miguel cabrera triple crown getty Getty Images

I realize that the whole Mike Trout-Miguel Cabrera MVP debate has led to a lot of old school-new school tribalism (and a lot of Detroit-non-Detroit tribalism), but it seems that in the past week or so that tribalism has taken a rather silly turn:  people claiming that Miguel Cabrera was/is getting no attention for his Triple Crown push.

I’ve seen it all over Twitter, almost always from people who are Tigers fans: people saying “Why is Cabrera getting no attention?” Or “Cabrera is gonna win the Triple Crown and NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT!”  We had a commenter here say that the other morning. He said in the middle of a time when HBT had run no less than three posts dedicated to Miguel Cabrera in a 12 hour period.

Here’s the latest incarnation of it, from The Big Lead:

Impressive feat, right? Except nobody outside of Detroit seems to care. Is it because Cabrera isn’t universally loved by the media? Is it because of the sport’s shift away from traditional stats and to Sabermetrics?

Five years ago, would Cabrera’s Triple Crown have received significantly more publicity? Is everyone still skeptical about cheating baseball players one year after the NL MVP, Ryan Braun, tested positive for Performance Enhancing Drugs, and one month after the leading hitter in the NL was busted for PEDs, too?

I’m not sure what planet this criticism is coming from. If you do a Google News search for “Miguel Cabrera MVP” — and even if you cut it off before yesterday to avoid all of the cut-and-paste “Cabrera won the Triple Crown” reports that came out last night — you get 93,000 results.  In that same time frame you get 13,000 or so “Mike Trout MVP” results.

That’s obviously not scientific, but I defy anyone to find me a single newspaper in city with a baseball team or any sports website out there that has not made multiple mentions of Miguel Cabrera and the Triple Crown.  Bud Selig issued an official statement from Major League Baseball congratulating him on the feat. Sure, maybe it could stand to be hyped even more given how rare it is (though at the moment I’m not sure how one could hype it more), but it has been hyped quite a lot.

What I think is really going on are people who are very pro-Cabrera in the MVP race not happy that he was being at all compared with Trout in the first place, and looking for considerably more Cabrera coverage they can point to and say “ah ha! More people agree with me! My preconceptions on the topic are validated!”

Folks: that fight is almost certainly over. I’d be shocked if Cabrera does not win the MVP. And I’d be equally as shocked if anyone can explain cogently and specifically — as opposed to merely making vague complaints — how Miguel Cabrera’s accomplishment is being somehow overlooked.

By the way: “Cabrera Triple Crown overlooked” has 1,500 Google News results in that time frame.  Maybe if everyone who is complaining about the lack of kudos Cabrera is getting and actually gave him kudos their life wouldn’t feel so unfulfilled.

1. pshanks62 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The ticker on ESPN, when listing MVP candidates did not mention his triple crown but did about Trout’s home run stolen base run total silliness…seems like Miggy getting shafted to me…

• b7p19 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Are you arguing that Trouts SB totals are getting more press than Cabreras triple crown?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

The ticker, the bottom line that often doesn’t even show who pitched in games after they just report the score? That’s what we’re basing our anger off of now?

Last night’s sportscenter’s lead in was Cabrera and the triple crown. The evening ones lead off with his winning even before discussing the AL E/W results. Later they had Kurkjian do a report on it, and included a note from Yaz himself.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

But you’re saying the entire broadcast wasn’t dedicated to his triple crown win? If the east coast, Yankee loving liberal media elite didn’t hate Cabrera and love nerd stats, ESPN would have had around-the-clock coverage on it.

• blackandbluedivision - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Why does no one outside of Detroit care about Miguel Cabrera and his Triple Crown?! Well because the Lions are 1-3, Pistons and Shock suck, and the Red Wings are locked out. What else do they have to care about?

2. funkygoorilla - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

ROIDS!!!!!

3. b7p19 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Miguel Cabrera won the triple crown!!?? What?? How did I not hear about this?!!!

4. lazlosother - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

You’re ruining the narrative Craig. People complain about no coverage for the same reason they think the triple crown is an automatic MVP, they aren’t very good at analyzing things.

5. mdpickles - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I’m guessing the Triple Crown isn’t sexy? I thought I’d never see a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime. I find it enthralling. However, today’s crowd would be more interested in someone chasing 56 game hit streak.

• mdpickles - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

By the way, props to the KC fans recognizing Miggy’s accomplishment. Very Classy. New York would’ve booed him.

6. frank433 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

To be fair, the Red Sox fired Valentine so ESPN has to dedicate sportscenter to that today.

7. porkcarrot - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I think the point is being missed here. It isn’t that baseball people aren’t talking about it, they certainly are, but I haven’t really seen it transcend into national news. I suspect that many if not most non-baseball/non-sports fans don’t t know this happened. This is a pretty big accomplishment and it doesn’t feel like it because it isn’t getting a lot of mainstream attention.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Well, the first Presidential Debate was yesterday, so that was kind of a big deal. Regardless, I still heard it mentioned on cable news both last night and this morning.

• witeman10 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

okay, im a hardcore tigers fan and am on total man crush fan boy status with Miggy. While Miggy for years hasnt gotten enough props outside of hardcore baseball fans, that has all changed now. as it should. I went to cnn.com last night, in the middle of the presidential debate, and at the top it said “BREAKING NEWS: MIGUEL CABRERA WINS FIRST TRIPLE CROWN IN 45 YEARS.”

it’s getting plenty enough press and i love it! the reason tigers fans complain about the coverage tho is cuz we are sensitive as we all feel miggy hasn’t gotten enough mainstream media attention in years past. it has nothing to do with the MVP debate. even all the baseball players like mccutchen and others alluded to miggy being overlooked in years past wen they were asked about him getting the triple crown this year. Miggy has snuck under the radar for years by the mainstream media. People would talk about Pujols, Hamilton, Mauer, etc. but no one would mention miggy in the same regard. BUT, that has FINALLY changed with the triple crown win. and it’s long overdue that this man gets the recognition he deserves…tigers fans are simply trying to make up for years of neglect for the big loveable fatso.

altho quite frankly, he doesnt like it. and i think part of why he hasnt gotten the media attention in years past is cuz, well, he doesnt want it and goes out of his way to avoid it.

• witeman10 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

tho i will say, another reason tigers fans keep complaining about the coverage is cuz it’s quite frustrating wen one of ur favorite players does something nobody has dones in 45 years, and you have all these nerds trolling and going out of their way to try and diminish the triple crown accomplishment. I’m tired of articles saying “triple crown doesn’t mean that much.” seriously, STFU captain buzzkills. let us and miggy have our moment! i dont care about the sabermetric significance of the triple crown. it’s compelling and awesome because it NEVER HAPPENS. I personally enjoy seeing things happen in sports that ive never seen before, like the triple crown.

er wait, thanks to cabrera now i have seen the triple crown! thank you Miggy!

8. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

as a detroit native, it pains me to say that this city is stricken with a case of low self-esteem and it breeds nonsense like this. detroit is always fired up about something every year from cindy crosby getting more love than pavel datsyuk to “everybody” hating on the tigers, cabrera, the lions… you get the idea. the eventual truth of the matter always comes down to something ESPN is or is not covering about a detroit sports story. that’s it. just ESPN. you’d figure after a time these paranoids would stop watching and look for alternatives, but it’s like a sickness i guess.

cabrera is fine and will be fine. MVP or not to display in his case, he just accomplished something that nobody in decades has, and that means more to his career than a trophy. at this point, i hope trout wins it. he had a better all-around year. but in three to five years somebody will ask me who was the 2012 AL MVP and i’ll have forgotten, but i won’t forget who won the triple crown that year. so take your sabremetrics and cram ‘em. because counting stats matter in the history of baseball.

• kopy - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yeah but (the) Detroit (area) has Karl Welzien so it all balances out.

9. thephilsabide - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I got an update early this morning from my CNN app telling me he won it. If CNN is sending alerts out to anyone who has the app, I’m pretty sure it’s getting enough coverage.

10. mkd - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Yeah I think porkcarrot nails it. That ESPN leads with the story doesn’t matter, people want CNN to be leading with it.

But even in the context of baseball stories I think the Cabrera Triple Crown isn’t being elevated to the level it likely would have been 10 years ago. This I attribute to two things: 1) The complete deconstruction of RBI/BA by sabermetrics 2) The fact that with so many meaningful baseball games being played in the last week of the season, you can’t just drop everything and talk about Cabrera. If the pennant races were all sown up then yeah I think the Triple Crown would loom much larger in the conversation. But there’s just so much to talk about! Baseball!u

11. unfortunateminnesotasportsfan - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Go trout for mvp! And go A’s , knock the tigers out. Detroit sucks! :-)

12. lumpyf - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

What? Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown?? I live in Seattle so I had no idea.

13. Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No attention? A story about Cabrera winning the Triple Crown is currently on the front page of the *BBC News* in the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/; check it soon because the stories will turn over by late today or tomorrow morning). They don’t ordinarily mention baseball at all, much less on the front page of the entire site, except to announce the winner of the World Series.

14. takingbovadasmoney - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Wow, non issue….Craig is acting like a petulant bitch……yet again.

• bsbiz - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Wow…. A commenter is acting like a self-righteous prick……yet again.

15. witeman10 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

even as a tigers fan, i dont blame espn for moving on from the triple crown story and focusing on the epic bobby valentine fiasco of 2012 right now. that story is quite hillarious to me. Miggy’s season was historic. Valentine also had a pretty historic season himself as a manager. I mean, it really might be one of the worst seasons by a manager in MLB history.

Congrats Bobby V! You did it!

16. kingmiedus - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I think it wasn’t getting nearly the attention the home run chase did. Or at least it didn’t seem to be anyways.

17. drewsylvania - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Interestingly, I visit this site almost exclusively for sports news. And it has had very little on Miggy Cabrera’s Triple Crown. Little on his chances before getting it, and little now that he has it.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You’re being sarcastic, right? The “highlight sarcasm” option in my browser isn’t working for some reason, so I can’t be sure…

18. drewsylvania - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Porkcarrot is right. This should have been all over the news for at least the last week of the season. Instead, it’s been secondary to the playoff races, NFL, etc. Even on this site.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Um, I’m pretty sure that Cabrera’s Triple Crown chase has been bigger news on this site (HardballTalk) than the NFL…

19. gpatrick15 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

All of the “press” I’ve seen here was basically negative press negating the accomplishment. I’m a fan of both Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout, the two most worthy of MVP this year. Because they are the two candidates, nearly everything on here has been how the Triple Crown is nothing compared to what wunderkind Mike Trout has been doing. Like I said, they both are great, and their respective franchises are lucky to have them.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I look forward to you providing quotes and links of people saying negative things about Cabrera winning the Triple Crown, or saying that Cabrera is “nothing” compared to Trout. Because basically everybody on this site says that Cabrera winning the Triple Crown is amazing, and that Trout and Cabrera are both awesome.

I’m sick of people claiming that others are being “negative” about either guy. Nobody’s negative about either guy (well, nobody except some intense Tigers or Angels fans, probably). It’s not “negative” to say “they’re both awesome, but I think one’s slightly more awesome than the other”. Please stop telling people to stop doing something they’re not doing.

• gpatrick15 - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM

“The Triple Crown is Nonsense”

In “Miguel Cabrera is in Triple Crown Position,” (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/30/miguel-cabrera-is-currently-in-triple-crown-position/) the author is quick to point out that the triple crown is outdated, which is a bit negative about a historic event.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

gpatrick15:

In the first post you linked to, the author says that it’s really rare to win the Triple Crown and that Cabrera deserves tons of credit for doing so, but that it shouldn’t determine who wins the MVP. Did you read the article, or just decide to take offense at the headline?

Similarly, the second post says both that Cabrera is in Triple Crown position, but that that’s not the best way to decide who the MVP is. I actually agree that it would’ve been better not to bother debating who the MVP is in a post updating Cabrera’s Triple Crown position. But nowhere in either post is anything “negative” said about Cabrera’s Triple Crown chase.

Still looking forward to links where somebody says that Cabrera sucks, or that he’s “nothing” compared to Mike Trout.

20. juanhughjazz - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

He meantsaid that the coverage is minimal relative to what it would be if Miggy played for the yanksox. Look at all the coverage Granderson got after donning the pinstripes.

As far as the MVP goes, the Tigers wouldn’t have made the playoffs with a replacement at third base. The Angels got the same result they would have gotten without Trout.

• Kevin S. - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

So Cabrera is the MVP because the rest of the AL Central blows, eh? How about giving it to Robinson Cano, who had a pretty similar season to Cabrera and without whom the Yankees almost certainly don’t make the playoffs. Oh, wait, I forgot. Narrative.

• juanhughjazz - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Well, the Tigers did beat the best of those superior divisions when it mattered. maybe the central is better than you’re giving it credit for.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I assume you’re in favor of taking away the two straight MVP awards Ernie Banks won playing for terrible Cubs teams that would’ve been terrible without him?

21. loungefly74 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

i guess i have been part of this mob mentailty..sorry guys. its just…the triple crown, when growing up, came to be a “mythical treasure”…something i would never see. now that it has happened…it seems there is a large contingent of people who say it’s not a big deal (because sabermetrics told them so)…well…i just poo poo on that.

• Jeremy Fox - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Sabrmetrics didn’t tell me anything about whether the Triple Crown is a big deal. It’s a huge deal, it’s historic, it’s amazing that Cabrera managed to pull it off. I didn’t think I’d ever see anyone do it.

Sabrmetrics also tells me that Cabrera might not be the MVP, but that’s totally different (and hardly novel; Ted Williams twice won the Triple Crown and wasn’t voted MVP).

For what it’s worth, years from now a lot more people will remember that Cabrera won the Triple Crown than who the MVP was (even if it’s Cabrera). And I think that’s totally cool. Winning the Triple Crown is a really difficult, rare, and historic thing to do, so people are quite rightly going to remember it a lot more than they remember who won the MVP.

22. darthicarus - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Did you see Darren Rovell “poll” asking people if they were talking about Cabrera? Apparently his followers determine the end-all-be-all of what the world is talking about. http://bit.ly/QJXwSC

23. yahmule - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Trout’s exploits this season have reminded me about everything I ever loved about this great game. I’m going to miss watching him play every day. I would be thrilled to see him win the MVP this year. That said, I have the utmost respect for Miguel Cabrera and I agree that his consistently high level of performance has led some people to kind of take his excellence for granted. I’m also very impressed by the attitude many of the Tiger fans on this blog have about the whole situation.

24. historiophiliac - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I think the national news and baseball media have been all over the story. I live in a college football state, though, so last night after Miggy got it was the first mention of his triple crown race on my local news — and it ran after the Big 12 football controversy (TX-OSU…still, again), coverage for this weekend’s college games, the Rangers story, and an update on the Cards. In short, it was the last story of the sports segment, but I take that to mean they saved the best for last.

25. mybrunoblog - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Unfortunately I think we have become so accustomed to stories being overblown that when a story receives the appropriate amount of coverage we are puzzled. We have crossed the rubicon folks!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate