The Dbacks dump Daron Sutton and Mark Grace

Oct 4, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

daron sutton and mark grace

Diamondbacks play-by-play man Daron Sutton was suspended for a “personnel matter” back in June.  And then in August his boothmate Mark Grace was suspended after getting another DUI.  Now they’re both gone:

The musical chairs in the announcing booths could start soon after Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told reporters Thursday that neither TV play-by-play announcer Daron Sutton nor analyst Mark Grace will return.

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune speculates that White Sox color man Steve Stone and Cubs color man — and former Dbacks manager — Bob Brenly could be candidates for the job.

1. pjmitch - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Loved Grace as a player. Hated him as an announcer.

2. mybrunoblog - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Immediately after being informed that he was fired, Sutton took off his lame golf sport shirt and put on a perfectly tailored suit. Mark grace was speechless.

3. bloodysock - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

“It’s things that have happened over the years,” Hall said, when asked to elaborate on what he meant by “philosophical differences.”

“The collaboration here of our personnel, dealing with Daron and us trying to go in a direction that was different than he wanted to go as a broadcaster. It’s no knock on him. It’s style differences and differences of philosophies, as I mentioned. Daron’s going to be a good broadcaster for years to come, I certainly hope.”

It’s still cryptic what the heck he did (or didn’t do). This is more than not wearing a polo shirt.

4. El Bravo - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Stonepony wants out!!!

5. stairwayto7 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Will the d’cracks still have Grace’s madcot run the races? No wonder he never won..HE WAS HAMMERED!

6. teamo68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Gladly take Sutton here in DC where Bob Carpenter is absolutely terrible.

7. meteor32 - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I don’t see Bob Brenly leaving the Cubs. It seems like that would be a higher paying gig given the Cubs larger media market and all of the games that are broadcast nationally on WGN.

• mreezybreezy - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I’ve said it 1000 times before – the Cubs need to sign Brenly to a lifetime contract.

• Alex K - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Len, too! They are one of the best teams in baseball. They’re my favorite, but I’m totally biased.

8. mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I guess the Diamondbacks aren’t as impressed with Mark Grace as he is with himself. As a player, he was always good for some (half) witty remark, which had the writers snowballed into overlooking his lack of power and production at a power position. As an announcer, he struck me as incredibly impressed with the fact that he is Mark Grace.

9. datcrazybok - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Never really liked Gracie. I kind of dug when Jim Traber was doing the announcing. Whatever happened to that guy?

• bloodysock - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

He’s a radio host for WWLS in OKC weekdays from 2-6 pm.

10. vallewho - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

who in the world watches DBacks baseball anyway??? I lived in the PHX area for 3 years (recently moved away) and not once did I tune in. Never heard anyone talking about them in a good way either.

• adcoop22 - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Probably because you were too busy cheering for the team from the city you moved from. The only time I miss a game is when I am out of town, DVR is a beautiful thing (and my wife hates it).

11. adcoop22 - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing Gonzo in the box full time, he has done a stand-up job when he has been there.

12. tashkalucy - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What a terrible announcing pair. When they came on MLB Ticket I turned the sound off.

Heard Sutton in LA before he was run out. Impossible to enjoy a game with him broadcasting. On every pitch he has to bring up 15 things that might possibly happen. Vin Sculley doesn’t have to resort to that, and he’s forgotten more baseball then Sutton will ever know.

Put Grace in the same category as Steve “Psycho” (i.e. is the camera on me?) Lyons and TIm McCarver. Dumb jocks that don’t get that what they and their TV execs think is humorous, only shows them to be shallow and stupid.TV’s should come equipped with a device whereby if there is anyone in the room with an IQ in the triple digits, the sound automatically switches to ‘mute’ when one of those guys is broadcasting.

13. proudlycanadian - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I nominate Short and Silva for the gig. As seasoned bloggers, they would have no problem if they do not have to wear a suit.

I am ruling out Craig and Aaron, because they are biased in favor of other teams. As far as Matthew is concerned, I have nominated him for The Red Sox job.

14. nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

If the D-Backs are smart, they’ll get the guy in Las Vegas who does 51′s games, Russ Langer!

15. eagles512 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I’ll take him in Philly. McCarthy is the worst play by play guy in baseball.

• mJankiewicz - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

“Changing theeee gaaame!!!!”– One of the many things McCarthy says that makes my skin crawl

16. schmedley69 - Oct 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Sutton needs to start perming his hair like his Dad, and then he would get some respect.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

He is Don Sutton’s Son? You are joking right? If not…how the hell did I NOT know this?
      Did I know it and forget? Wow.

17. timpaz - Oct 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM

After these two incompetent clowns were suspended I was finally able to turn the sounds back on while watching Dbacks game, always knew Grace was drunk in the booth, and the arrogant attitude of Sutton was unbearable.

18. mJankiewicz - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM

This was overdue. You really are able to notice how bad they are when you have Extra Innings and get to hear every announcer in the league. Most are ok, but these guys would immediately remind you that you hated watching your team when they played the D-Backs and you got the “away” feed. Mark Grace would just say “GAS!!!” over and over all night hahaha.

19. mikecubbie69 - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM

If Brenly goes to Arizona I hope he takes Len Kasper with him! Maybe the Cubs could replace them with Mark Grace!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet