Wishing for vuvuzelas

Oct 4, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Tomahawk Chop

Or ThunderStix. Or whistles. Or any of the many, many things that aren’t as offensive as this:

The Braves plan to have 45,000 foam tomahawks chopping in unison when they face St. Louis on Friday at 5:07 p.m. in the National League Wild Card game … The first 45,000 ticket-holders through the gates will get a free foam tomahawk.

I love and will root for my team, but I will never understand how they think it’s cool to encourage 1940s-western movie war whooping and tomahawk chopping and all of that in the 21st freaking century. I get that it started kinda spontaneously and out of excitement some 21 years ago, but there is no escaping that this is offensive and I wish they’d cut it out.

1. makeham98 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Over under on leftover tomahawks . . . 7,500.

Excellent cheesey display for the locals. Up ther with rally monkeys and the wave.

• saints97 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

7500 seems low.

What changed in Atlanta now that they expect 45,000 people to show up? Didn’t they routinely draw around 25,000 for the playoffs during their run in the 1990’s?

2. whitdog23 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

not offensive to me. who’s to say it doesnt look like a bunch of dart throwers. its looks cool seeing thousands do it in unison. calcaterra is wrong

• kevinbnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Are you Native American?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Kevin: My guess is he is NOT Native American.
        But I can tell you the Native Americans I lived with, broke bread with, was MARRIED TO, dance in Pow Wow’s with…absolutely love it.
        In fact, these Native Americans (they actually prefer to be called ‘Indian’) take great pride in it. They actually root for the Washington Redskins, the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians, the Florida State Seminoles and the Illinois Fighting Illini BECAUSE OF their nicknames and associated affiliations.
        They love(d) Florida State and Illinois’ mascot in there full dress.
        It gave them a huge sense of pride. True Story. Imagine that.
        I know it’s hard for a lot of the P.C. ‘warm and fuzzy’ crowd to understand.
        After all…if they can’t be up in arms about something it leaves them w/ very little to do.

• cggarb - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Awesome. We have the spokesman for all native Americans, AND “the PC crowd.” Will you be taking other questions?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

cggard:
        A spokesman for ALL Native Americans? Hardly.
        If you had actually read the post you would clearly see I stated the ones that “I” lived with. Just the ones in my particular community. Of course…there were a couple hundred of them.
        But again…just the ones whose culture “I” was immersed in.
        I know this probably bothers you. But don’t sweat it.
        I am sure you will ultimately find something else to be up in arms about.

3. geoknows - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

This is why I can’t stand the Braves. Man, I hope the Cardinals win that game. Sorry, Craig.

4. watermelon1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Really? People are offended because of the Tomahawk Chop? I guess your life is going pretty good if you’ve got time to be worried about something so minor!

• fearlessleader - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

A lot of us can think about multiple things at once. :)

5. watermelon1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I don’t understand why it’s always the Orioles who happen to give up multiple homers to the same player in the same game. Alex Rodriguez does it all the time against them. Josh Hamilton hit 4 earlier this year. Longoria with 3 in the last game of the season.

I mean… a guy who is already known as a great hitter hits a homer in his first at-bat. He’s hot… perhaps you decide to walk him or pitch around him the rest of the night. No? Okay… he hits a 2nd. Now you definitely pitch around him, right? Not the Orioles!

COME ON, PLAY SMART!

• watermelon1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Wow… this was left on another story but somehow got posted here. Mods… feel free to delete/move.

6. mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

One of my favorite memories is the look of embarrassment on Hanoi Jane’s face when she was married to Ted Turner and had to do the Tomahawk Chop at Braves’ playoff games. It may have been the only time in her life that she’s felt any shame.

My prediction–5,000 leftover foam tomahawks.

• pisano - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I always hated that bitch, but I can’t stand that chop bullshit, should have been done away with long ago, along with the effin wave.

7. cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Here’s the problem for me: Atlanta Braves, Foam Tomahawks, Chanting, and the chop Is the virtual equivalent of: The Atlanta Darkies, black face, My Mammy and the jig. I can see that real easy.

8. thetruth702 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

It started when deon sanders was a brave bc he went to florida state and they fo the tomahawk chop therw

9. mj1818 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Craig you must beat Browns fan and hate terrible towels because he foam fingers are not nearly as obnoxious as vuvuzelas, those are absolutely horrible.

10. paperlions - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Would they even give away all 45K of those things if they gave each person through the gate 2 of them?

11. thatyankeedude - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Craig you are ridiculously liberal. All the liberals are all about emotion not fact, that’s why you very rarely write an article based on pure fact without adding your own little jabs. It’s simply a rallying cry for the braves and nothing more.

• paperlions - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Holy cow….liberals aren’t about fact….but bible thumping conservatives are? You realize that all religions are man made socio-economic power structures and have nothing to do with a supreme being (for which there is no evidence), right?

Also…you realize that in every debate between “liberals” and “conservatives” with regard to science or discovery, that the “liberals” have won the debate because the position is based on facts, knowledge, and understanding, whereas the conservative position is based on dogma, lies, and making money…right?

The next time there is a debate between science (the liberals) and religion (the conservatives) in which the conservatives present facts or win (defined as being proven correct) will be the first one.

12. foreverchipper10 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I am actually upset I didn’t buy one of these during my one trip to Turner Field. I would only want it if it came from the stadium. Or a crane machine. Yeah….probably a crane machine.

13. thatyankeedude - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Hey paper lions did u watch Romney shell shock Obama last night? Your welcome:)

• thenoblefacehumper - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

And what does that have to do with the fundamental differences between liberals and conservatives?

14. denny65 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I understand Elizabeth Warren, Democratic Senate candidate in Massachusetts (“It’s Teddy’s seat, and I want it!”), plans to be in attendance at this game. (She was told by her family that she was related to Braves’ fans from the ’90s.)

15. 4cornersfan - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I doubt that there is a single person in Atlanta that intends the references to Indian culture to be derogatory. It’s all in good fun, get over it. Although, my grandfather was a cowboy and I highly resent the “Pistol Pete” mascot of the Wyoming Cowboys.

16. footballer4ever - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM

@voteforno6 “I wonder if Braves fans realize how dumb they look when they do the tomahawk chop.”

Are you listening too FSU fans? Gator fans?

Orioles turn AL East on its head