Wishing for vuvuzelas

Oct 4, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Tomahawk Chop

Or ThunderStix. Or whistles. Or any of the many, many things that aren’t as offensive as this:

The Braves plan to have 45,000 foam tomahawks chopping in unison when they face St. Louis on Friday at 5:07 p.m. in the National League Wild Card game … The first 45,000 ticket-holders through the gates will get a free foam tomahawk.

I love and will root for my team, but I will never understand how they think it’s cool to encourage 1940s-western movie war whooping and tomahawk chopping and all of that in the 21st freaking century. I get that it started kinda spontaneously and out of excitement some 21 years ago, but there is no escaping that this is offensive and I wish they’d cut it out.

1. mdpickles - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Braves fans need something other than a playoff game or Chipper tweeting for people to show up at the Ted. A foam tomahawk? Who can resist?

2. jayscarpa - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Radio is looking good.

3. deathmonkey41 - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I never found that Native American chanting thing they and Florida State used to do offensive….just really f#%king annoying.

• townballblog - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I agree with deathmonkey41, though I don’t think it is annoying.

I grew up a braves fan and have seem them do it for years. In all of those years not once did I think about Native Americans when I saw it, I’ve just always thought of it as a “rally monkey” sort of thing.

The more I think of it when people bring the tomahawk chop up and how it is offensive, the more I think that its not meant as an insult to Native Americans at all. Is it not meant by the Braves to be a rally call? A “tactic” to pump up the Braves fan and players and intimidate the other team? If that is the case then they are taking something with Native American origins and using it with the same exact end-goal in mind; motivation to achieve victory. Should that not be a compliment?

I understand the Native American history and the atrocities committed against, and it was absolutely and incredibly terrible. This is the reason why this is such a sensitive topic. Just know that before you blast off at me on the comments.

The Braves are not doing it to make fun of Native Americans, they are doing it because they are trying to imitate the reasons behind doing it. And at the end of the day, isn’t imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

4. spellingcops - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

This overly sensitive, pc loving world we live in is really starting to get offensive to me.

• fearlessleader - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM

If anything, I’d say the world these days loves Macs way more than PCs, and I suspect that what you call “overly sensitive” is what I’d call “respectful of the diverse society we live in.”

• indaburg - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I do love my Mac. Perfectly stated, fearless.

• woodenulykteneau - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Right on, paleface.

5. kiwicricket - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

If you show your vuvuzela in public, you’ll get arrested won’t you?

• indaburg - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

No, but you should. Man, they are annoying. Worse than a thousand nails screeching on chalkboard. I had to watch the World Cup on mute thanks to those damn things.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

No, you’re thinking of vulvasweller.

6. voteforno6 - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I wonder if Braves fans realize how dumb they look when they do the tomahawk chop.

• Tim's Neighbor - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

No. They don’t. To be fair, there are a lot more things we need to work on in Georgia and race relations before we can get to foam tomahawks.

• fearlessleader - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Because heaven knows you can only work on one racist thing at a time!

• Tim's Neighbor - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Have you been to Georgia? We’re generally working backwards and creating more racial issues here. Removing one would be one hell of a leap forward.

My favorite racist Georgia thing is the huge billboard on 75 (north of the A) that has a picture of the Twin Towers on fire with the caption, “Racial Profiling Would Have Prevented This Tragedy.”

7. rockthered1286 - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM

See now if they would’ve discussed this during the presidential debate last night I would’ve totally been interested.

8. Marty - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Craig loves and roots for the purveyors of offensive shit when it suits his whims, but has a pussy aneurysm when others do the same. That’s partly why he’s a better baseball blogger than he is a social thinker.

• fearlessleader - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Can you give some examples of “offensive shit” that Craig loves and roots for? Thanks.

• Marty - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

“…loves and roots for the purveyors of offensive shit”

A consistent progressive with the values Craig purports to possess would not be supporting this team if they truly though the tomahawk chop was offensive.

• indaburg - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I can’t recall Craig ever stating that people shouldn’t root for the Indians or teams with other offensive logos. I think his point has always been that these teams should join us in the 21st century and leave these anachronistic relics In the past, where they belong.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

When have I ever said that people shouldn’t root for the Indians despite Wahoo? Or anything else? I’ve never supported a boycott of teams based on this sort of thing.

But thank you so much for telling me what I should believe based on your cartoonishly simplistic view of what my politics are.

• Marty - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I’m talking Braves, not Indians.

Tell, if the chant involved the N-word would you still “love and root”? I wonder if you truly do think this is offensive, because my guess is you’re doing what most social progressives do, that is never miss an opportunity to show the world how much more compassionate you think you are.

BTW, I have nothing to do with your politics appearing cartoonish.

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

No, no freaking way you want thundersticks, vuvuzelas, or cow bells instead of a foam tomahawk. Those noise-makers are the worst things to happen to baseball since the DH.

• ptfu - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

More cowbell!

• stex52 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m no fan of racist imagery. But those horns made the World Cup a nightmare.

I’d rather the fans showed up in blackface, with giant Jewish noses on their faces, eating tacos with chopsticks, and waving foam tomahawks.

There, did I miss anyone?

• mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

You forgot Arabs, Latinos, and south Asians. No diversity points for you.

• stex52 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Tacos are for the latinos. And, BTW, my grandson, my best buddy in the whole world, is named Gonzalez.

10. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Wishing for vuvuzelas

Are you really? Well, here ya go:

Make sure you have your sound on, although if you are in an office, turn the volume down a bit.

11. stratomaticfan - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Problem is…history has taught us that the Braves generally don’t draw 45,000 for a playoff game. Heck…they didn’t fill up for an NLCS game 7.

• Tony Price - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Game is practically sold out, with standing room only tickets remaining. So I doubt there will be many left over.

12. megary - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Not that either really bother me, but given the choice between the two, I’d be more comfortable living with Chief Wahoo than the ridiculous behavior of the Tomahawk Chop. At least Chief Wahoo won’t force me to mute a baseball game.

13. natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I am now officially rooting for the Cards to win the WC game.

• fearlessleader - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

As a Cards fan, I’ve been struggling with some survivor’s guilt as the prospect of a StL/Atl wild-card game loomed. (The Braves kind of deserve some consolation after last season….they’ve been the better team all year….Chipper’s earned it….)

In those moments, I remember the goddamn tomahawk chop, and all is well with my soul.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

LOL. Brilliant. You’ve certainly got a point.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I would, only to annoy Craig, but really, it’d annoy me more. The Cardinals again? Really? The Braves deserve it more, after what they’ve been through. And it’d be fun to see what Chipper does in an actual postseason series, if not multiple ones.

• natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Temporarily, don’t worry, we got this. We dominated the league and went 17-1. Want proof? Someone posted this on a Nats site. (This is for Craig, too, who is worried about football.)

PlugNPlay said…
        As a thought experiment to explore ways of communicating with football fans about baseball, I broke the Nationals season up into 18 sets of 9 games, and for each game gave the Nats or their opponent a field goal if they won by 1 or 2 runs or a touchdown if they won by 3 or more runs. The idea was to show that one game of baseball meant about as much as a couple of back-and-forth possessions in a football game, and that the margin of victory in a baseball game meant something over the course of a season.

The Nationals went 17-1, and the one loss was by a field goal. They won only 4 games by less than a touchdown. For nearly the whole season they dominated whoever they played.

Game 1: W 37-6
        Game 13: W 33-14
        Game 14: W 23-16
        Game 15: W 41-14
        Game 16: W 30-13
        Game 17: W 24-23
        Game 18: W 27-24

Imagine if a certain local football team had been on a 15-game winning streak. This is why I think the Nationals are dramatically under-appreciated even in the sport, which means that we as a region have a whole lot of room to grow as fans.

I’m ridiculously excited about this team.

So am I.

• natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Wait–you were worried about seeing how Chipper Jones does in an actual postseaon series? I hope that was /sarcastic.

Jones has played in 3 WS, 11 NLDS and 6 NLCS. He’s had 412 plate appearances, and slashed .288/.411/.459.

I’ll be 100% happy if Friday is his last game.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You may be right. And you’ve certainly taken…lots of time…and effort…to prove your point. Funny thing is, we just don’t know how it’s all going to end up. If you don’t believe that, I submit, for your perusal…the Oakland A’s. Please tell me you saw THAT coming.

Let’s not confuse the subjective with the objective. Your team has the best record. They’ve been good all year. And yet…anything can…and usually does…happen.

I’ll give you my mix of both the subjective and objective, with the caveat that I’ll be the first one to laugh at myself for giving any sort of prediction any sort of importance.

What I’d like: Giants/Yankees

What’d be really cool: Nationals/Orioles

What I’m afraid we’ll get: Cardinals/A’s

• natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Actually, wasn’t my effort, and very little of my time–don’t want to take credit–I just thought it was interesting. I’m having a blast this season, whatever happens.

Yes, it is a new season now, and everyone starts with a 0-0 record. But everyone doesn’t start with the same team. It’s fascinating how the teams got to postseason by different routes.

1. Tigers – everyone expected it, and they made it. OK, there were some stumbles and they didn’t “dominate,” but they are exactly where they are “supposed” to be.
        2. Yankees – ditto.
        3. Giants, Cards, Atlanta, Reds – solid teams, not a shock to see any of them in postseason.
        4. Dodgers, Rangers, Fillies, Angels – that’s why they play out the games.
        5. O’s, A’s, Nationals – ditto

• Walk - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

If i was a nats fan i would root for st louis as well. That last series sweep by atlanta should have shown what was in store in a rematch. Nats swept the braves earlier and the braves could easily have folded with the injuries they have had but they played hard. I love the team washington has put together, young and exciting, but i would not want to play the braves who match up to them very well. Consider the young hitters atlanta and washington offers, consider both teams pens, and lastly the starting pitching. It is a push except in two areas. Individually the starting pitchers for washing have had the better year but atlantas starters have had the better second half, bodes well for the braves into the playoffs. Secondly While laroche and werth have playoff experience the braves have more in hudson, chipper, and mccann. So yeah you are right to hope st louis wins the play in.

14. rdillon99 - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I have fond memories of Robbie Alomar doing a mock Tomahawk Chop in the 1992 World Series.

15. chipperforever - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Craig, I know you haven’t been to the Ted, but the chop is less about disrespect than it is about an intimidation factor.

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You mean those that do it are then intimidated to leave their homes out of embarassment, should a camera happen to catch them doing it, thereby broadcasting it to millons?

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Whoa, whoa…..whoa….who do you think you are with that username?

16. randygnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

By your own admission, this won’t be a problem for you, Craig

17. StottsEra - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

i assume the’re cheap to make and the braves have never been too creative in the promotion department

18. realgone2 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Oh my god a foam tomahawk! This is the epitome of insensitive! ……………………Get a life Craig.

19. heyblueyoustink - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

“Wishing for vuvuzelas”

Worst……wish…..ever….

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Agreed. That’s like wishing for root canal!

20. dabirds3 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I guess they’re giving 15 to every fan, there’s no shot the braves have 45,000 fans. i dont know if they’ve had 45000 fans combined through 81 home games

21. sdelmonte - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Alas, a reason to root against the Braves tomorrow. Sorry, Craig. Sorry, Chipper.

22. gogigantos - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I didn’t know what a vuvuzela was when I bought mine back in 198? at the ‘Stick. I’ve had it since, even had it back at different yards around the world. I gets noticed for sure. I love the noise the thing makes, and how annoying it is. That foam chop thing is just lame, so lame that it isn’t really annoying, just lame. It seems a little weak, limp, in the final analysis, kinda like the Bravos over time at the end most years. It fits for the fans in Atlanta somehow. Kinda wimpy.

23. kiwicricket - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Where are these things made?
    *cringes

24. pisano - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

That’s one reason I can’t stand soccer,(vuvuzela) and the other is watching soccer is conducive to putting you to sleep, one of the most boring so-called sports ever. All they do is run back and forth and neither team scores. Real exciting, about as much as watching grass grow.

25. Francisco (FC) - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

In Mexico they have the Matraca (you think a Vuvuzela is loud.. you haven’t heard these then)

• gogigantos - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I want one. I so so want one, the neighbors will love me even more.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3739)