Oct 5, 2012, 10:32 PM EDT
The Orioles have pulled ahead again in Arlington. Adam Jones delivered a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth inning to give the Orioles a 2-1 lead over the Rangers.
J.J. Hardy led off the sixth by dumping a single into shallow right field before Chris Davis singled to right to move him to third. Jones flew out deep to right field to bring Hardy home. Yu Darvish was then visited by a team trainer and his interpreter, as he looked to be favoring his neck and back, but he stayed in the game to get Matt Wieters to pop out to second base and Jim Thome to strike out looking on a nasty curveball.
Joe Saunders came back out for the bottom of the sixth and retired Josh Hamilton on a ground out and Adrian Beltre on a fly out before Buck Showalter brought the hook. Saunders ended up throwing 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball. Pretty good. And downright unexpected. Darren O’Day then got Nelson Cruz to fly out to right to end the inning. The Orioles have the lead as we move to the seventh.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)