Oct 5, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Fittingly for a team that has relied so heavily on rookie pitchers all season the A’s have picked the youngest starter on the staff, 23-year-old Jarrod Parker, to take the mound in Game 1 of the ALDS against Justin Verlander and the Tigers.
Parker, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks as part of the Trevor Cahill deal in December, threw 181 innings with a 3.47 ERA and 140/63 K/BB ratio while allowing just 11 homers.
Oakland kicking off its first playoff series since 2006 by relying on a pair of rookie starters acquired in offseason trades for established starters sounds just about right.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel