Oct 5, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Fittingly for a team that has relied so heavily on rookie pitchers all season the A’s have picked the youngest starter on the staff, 23-year-old Jarrod Parker, to take the mound in Game 1 of the ALDS against Justin Verlander and the Tigers.
Parker, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks as part of the Trevor Cahill deal in December, threw 181 innings with a 3.47 ERA and 140/63 K/BB ratio while allowing just 11 homers.
Oakland kicking off its first playoff series since 2006 by relying on a pair of rookie starters acquired in offseason trades for established starters sounds just about right.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40