Oct 5, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
As tempting as it is to blame Fredi Gonzalez for managing a winner-take-all game as if it were just another regular-season game or umpire Sam Holbrook for his brutal infield-fly call, the fact that the Braves lost to the Cardinals 6-3 on Friday can be chalked up to poor defense from a team that made the fewest errors in the National League this year.
– Second baseman Dan Uggla bobbled and then threw away David Freese‘s grounder with the Braves down 4-2. Freese took second on the play.
– After a sac bunt advanced the pinch-runner, Pete Kozma hit a grounder to shortstop. Andrelton Simmons bobbled the ball and then foolishly threw home anyway. Not only did the run score, but Kozma was able to go to second when the throw went wide.
– It wasn’t an error, but the Cards scored again in the seventh to go up 6-2 when a Matt Carpenter swinging bunt turned into an infield single and an RBI, as Kozma scored from second after pitcher Jonny Venters missed the tag and had his momentum carry him past the first base line.
Atlanta went on to lose from there despite outhitting the Cardinals 12-6 and outwalking them 3-0. This one isn’t on Gonzalez or Holbrook; it’s all on the Braves.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
The Marlins are off to a disappointing 3-8 start this season and slugger Giancarlo Stanton doesn’t like what he has seen.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton’s future with the Angels is in question, as the two sides are discussing a number of scenarios to resolve their dispute.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
V-Mart took a few days off this week to rest his knee.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Danny Salazar was optioned to Triple-A after struggling during spring training, but he’ll now get an extended opportunity in Cleveland’s rotation.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s safe to say that nobody would have guessed this one.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday around MLB, including the exploits of Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:17 AM EDT
There are, increasingly, two Angels camps when it comes to the Josh Hamilton matter: Arte Moreno and everybody else.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:49 AM EDT
When Angels owner Arte Moreno was asked if Josh Hamilton would ever play for the Angels again, he said “I will not say that.” With this listing, perhaps Hamilton is saying so himself.
Ruben Amaro on Andy Oliver’s decision to elect free agency: “I think it was a very foolish move on his part, but that’s OK.”
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Ruben Amaro seems a little upset that Andy Oliver didn’t want to start the season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets will be stretching out Rafael Montero as a starter at Triple-A Las Vegas before bringing him back to the majors for a spot start against the Marlins.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Mike Trout became the youngest to join the 100/100 club with a two-run home run on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has two home runs on Friday night, leaving him two round-trippers shy of tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Matt Carpenter made a cool maneuver to score the tying run in the bottom of the first against the Reds on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Neither side was warned, but Ubaldo Jimenez was ejected for hitting Pablo Sandoval with a pitch on Friday evening.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
A-Rod is now three home runs away from tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Since 2000, how often have teams that started 9-1 went on to have playoff success?
Apr 17, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Mark Buehrle, baseball’s timeless left-hander, is reportedly considering retiring after the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Well, he’s certainly not getting the support of the Los Angeles Angels.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
Duensing had an ugly outing Thursday in which he turned a blowout into a save situation for closer Glen Perkins.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 21
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 22
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)