Oct 5, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
David Ross gave the Braves an early 2-0 lead with a two-run homer, but the Cardinals have scored four unanswered to go up 4-2 as we go into the top of the seventh.
Chipper Jones committed a throwing error in the top of the fourth inning which opened the door for the Cardinals to score three runs. Allen Craig delivered an RBI double while Yadier Molina had an RBI ground out and David Freese had a sacrifice fly.
The Braves had two runners on with one out in the bottom of the fourth after Freddie Freeman singled and David Ross reached on a bunt single, but Andrelton Simmons bunted and was called out for interference. Watch the play below.
On the TBS broadcast, the announcers said that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez called for a safety squeeze and that it was not the result of a missed sign by Simmons. It’s possible he was just covering for his rookie shortstop, but it’s still a bad play with the pitcher on deck. Kris Medlen struck out swinging and the rally was snuffed out.
The Cardinals stretched their lead to 4-2 with a solo home run by Matt Holliday in the top of the sixth. Kyle Lohse was pulled in the bottom of the inning with a runner on first and one out, but Lance Lynn was able to get David Ross to fly out to right center to end the threat. To the seventh we go.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)