Oct 5, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
The surgery was performed by Dr. ElAttrache and involved repair of a tear in his labrum and some minor debridement of the rotator cuff. He will begin physical therapy in 7-10 days and is expected to begin swinging a bat in early January. Dr. ElAttrache expects that he will be ready for the start of the 2013 season.
Kemp originally injured the shoulder when he collided with the center field fence at Coors Field on August 28. After missing two games, he batted just .214 with six homers, 15 RBI and a 35/6 K/BB ratio over the final 28 games of the season. The 28-year-old center fielder batted .303/.367/.538 with 23 home runs, 69 RBI and a .906 OPS in 106 games overall.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)