Pat Neshek on A’s playoff roster following son’s death

Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 PM EST

Pat Neshek AP

Pat Neshek, whose son Gehrig John Neshek died Wednesday less than 24 hours after his birth, has rejoined the A’s in Detroit and will reportedly be on the team’s playoff roster for the ALDS against the Tigers.

Neshek will be available out of the bullpen after working his way back from the minors to appear in 24 games for the A’s down the stretch, posting a 1.37 ERA in 20 innings.

Manager Bob Melvin talked to reporters about how he hopes the support from teammates can help Neshek deal with the tragedy.

1. dondada10 - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I didn’t need any more reasons to root for the A’s this postseason, but man does this make me wish they win it all.

2. monkeyjuice313 - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I am a huge Tiger fan, but I wish I could go to the game just to cheer for Neshek.

3. butchhuskey - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

We’re all rooting for you, Pat – best of luck in the playoffs and your personal life

4. indaburg - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Positive thoughts will definitely be going his way. Being with his brothers on the field may bring him some comfort. I can’t even imagine his pain.

• cur68 - Oct 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yeah. Good luck to him.

5. kvanhorn87 - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Is this news? Now if he was left off of the roster (not asked to be excused), that would be news

6. philliesblow - Oct 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Being with his teammates may move his thoughts from the loss of his son, but I hope his wife has a good support system around her while he is back with the team.

• mgflolox - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I believe that being with his teammates and getting back on the field will be the best therapy for him. I would imagine the other players’ wives will be there to support Mrs. Neshek also. Teams have a way of rallying around their own.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Forget about getting dusty in here, straight crying.

• indaburg - Oct 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

That is really beautiful. I want to cry.

• ajilldogs - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

What an incredibly strong man Pat must be. I have been an A’s fan since the late
      70s- thru good and bad. The team will give him the
      Strength he will need to focus and kick butt to take all.
      Let’s go A’s-do it for Pat and little Gehrig and mom

8. deadrabbit79 - Oct 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM

As a Yankee fan i am really pulling for this guy and the A’s. Makes you realize in the grand scheme of things whats really important. At the end of the day its just a game, life on the other hand is not.

9. eyeh8goodell - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I’d really like to know who the punk is giving thumbs down so I can beat him to within an inch of his life. Maybe past it on general principle and do society a favor. To the little slimeball doing that, post your name and address and let’s see what kind of balls you have. Loser.

• sdsockers - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

to ‘eyeh8goodell’….I guarantee that the person giving all those “thumbs down” has never lost someone close to him, like a son. Probably isn’t even a parent, or, if he is, is a horrible one.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester