Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Pat Neshek, whose son Gehrig John Neshek died Wednesday less than 24 hours after his birth, has rejoined the A’s in Detroit and will reportedly be on the team’s playoff roster for the ALDS against the Tigers.
Neshek will be available out of the bullpen after working his way back from the minors to appear in 24 games for the A’s down the stretch, posting a 1.37 ERA in 20 innings.
Manager Bob Melvin talked to reporters about how he hopes the support from teammates can help Neshek deal with the tragedy.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 18
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 37
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 39
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)