Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Pat Neshek, whose son Gehrig John Neshek died Wednesday less than 24 hours after his birth, has rejoined the A’s in Detroit and will reportedly be on the team’s playoff roster for the ALDS against the Tigers.
Neshek will be available out of the bullpen after working his way back from the minors to appear in 24 games for the A’s down the stretch, posting a 1.37 ERA in 20 innings.
Manager Bob Melvin talked to reporters about how he hopes the support from teammates can help Neshek deal with the tragedy.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)