Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
Pat Neshek, whose son Gehrig John Neshek died Wednesday less than 24 hours after his birth, has rejoined the A’s in Detroit and will reportedly be on the team’s playoff roster for the ALDS against the Tigers.
Neshek will be available out of the bullpen after working his way back from the minors to appear in 24 games for the A’s down the stretch, posting a 1.37 ERA in 20 innings.
Manager Bob Melvin talked to reporters about how he hopes the support from teammates can help Neshek deal with the tragedy.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)