Oct 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Justin Verlander starting Game 1 was a given and today the Tigers announced the rest of their ALDS rotation against the A’s:
If healthy Scherzer seems likely to have gotten a start before Game 4, but between late-season shoulder problems and tweaking his ankle celebrating the division title manager Jim Leyland smartly decided to give him as much rest as possible. And it’s not like Fister and Sanchez are bad Game 2 and Game 3 options, obviously.
Detroit using four right-handers starters means the left-handed-hitting side of Oakland’s platoons will have to step up, as Brandon Moss and Seth Smith will likely be starting every game with Chris Carter and Jonny Gomes on the bench. Overall this season the A’s essentially had equal production versus righties and lefties.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)