Oct 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Justin Verlander starting Game 1 was a given and today the Tigers announced the rest of their ALDS rotation against the A’s:
If healthy Scherzer seems likely to have gotten a start before Game 4, but between late-season shoulder problems and tweaking his ankle celebrating the division title manager Jim Leyland smartly decided to give him as much rest as possible. And it’s not like Fister and Sanchez are bad Game 2 and Game 3 options, obviously.
Detroit using four right-handers starters means the left-handed-hitting side of Oakland’s platoons will have to step up, as Brandon Moss and Seth Smith will likely be starting every game with Chris Carter and Jonny Gomes on the bench. Overall this season the A’s essentially had equal production versus righties and lefties.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 27
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)