Oct 5, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Here are the Cardinals’ and Braves’ lineups for the Wild Card playoff game:
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS ATLANTA BRAVES 1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Michael Bourn, CF 2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Martin Prado, LF 3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Jason Heyward, RF 4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Chipper Jones, 3B 5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Freddie Freeman, 1B 6. David Freese, 3B 6. Dan Uggla, 2B 7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. David Ross, C 8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Andrelton Simmons, SS 9. Kyle Lohse, P 9. Kris Medlen, P
Mike Matheny is going with what became the Cardinals’ standard stretch-run lineup and batting order without the injured Lance Berkman and Rafael Furcal. After beginning with a left-handed hitter and a switch-hitter the lineup’s 3-4-5-6 spots are all right-handed bats against Braves right-hander Kris Medlen, but then again he held both righties and lefties to a sub-.210 batting average anyway.
Fredi Gonzalez decided to bench six-time all-star Brian McCann following his terrible August and September, so David Ross gets the start at catcher for the Braves. Ross caught Medlen for 44 of his 138 total innings and they had a ridiculous 0.81 ERA together, so that shouldn’t be an issue. And of course he’s the stat you’ll hear about constantly during the game: Atlanta has won 23 consecutive games started by Medlen and they’re favored tonight.
Feel free to chat during the game in the comments section.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)