Oct 5, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Here are the Cardinals’ and Braves’ lineups for the Wild Card playoff game:
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS ATLANTA BRAVES 1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Michael Bourn, CF 2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Martin Prado, LF 3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Jason Heyward, RF 4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Chipper Jones, 3B 5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Freddie Freeman, 1B 6. David Freese, 3B 6. Dan Uggla, 2B 7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. David Ross, C 8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Andrelton Simmons, SS 9. Kyle Lohse, P 9. Kris Medlen, P
Mike Matheny is going with what became the Cardinals’ standard stretch-run lineup and batting order without the injured Lance Berkman and Rafael Furcal. After beginning with a left-handed hitter and a switch-hitter the lineup’s 3-4-5-6 spots are all right-handed bats against Braves right-hander Kris Medlen, but then again he held both righties and lefties to a sub-.210 batting average anyway.
Fredi Gonzalez decided to bench six-time all-star Brian McCann following his terrible August and September, so David Ross gets the start at catcher for the Braves. Ross caught Medlen for 44 of his 138 total innings and they had a ridiculous 0.81 ERA together, so that shouldn’t be an issue. And of course he’s the stat you’ll hear about constantly during the game: Atlanta has won 23 consecutive games started by Medlen and they’re favored tonight.
Feel free to chat during the game in the comments section.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)