Oct 5, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Here are the Cardinals’ and Braves’ lineups for the Wild Card playoff game:
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS ATLANTA BRAVES 1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Michael Bourn, CF 2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Martin Prado, LF 3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Jason Heyward, RF 4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Chipper Jones, 3B 5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Freddie Freeman, 1B 6. David Freese, 3B 6. Dan Uggla, 2B 7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. David Ross, C 8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Andrelton Simmons, SS 9. Kyle Lohse, P 9. Kris Medlen, P
Mike Matheny is going with what became the Cardinals’ standard stretch-run lineup and batting order without the injured Lance Berkman and Rafael Furcal. After beginning with a left-handed hitter and a switch-hitter the lineup’s 3-4-5-6 spots are all right-handed bats against Braves right-hander Kris Medlen, but then again he held both righties and lefties to a sub-.210 batting average anyway.
Fredi Gonzalez decided to bench six-time all-star Brian McCann following his terrible August and September, so David Ross gets the start at catcher for the Braves. Ross caught Medlen for 44 of his 138 total innings and they had a ridiculous 0.81 ERA together, so that shouldn’t be an issue. And of course he’s the stat you’ll hear about constantly during the game: Atlanta has won 23 consecutive games started by Medlen and they’re favored tonight.
Feel free to chat during the game in the comments section.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)