Oct 6, 2012, 8:04 PM EST
Tigers catcher Alex Avila played through an injured knee last postseason and wound up batting just .073/.116/.146 in 44 plate appearances. It appears he’ll be much more of a contributor this time around.
The 25-year-old launched a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth inning of tonight’s ALDS Game 1 against the Athletics, giving the Tigers a 3-1 lead.
Even more positive for Detroit is that starter Justin Verlander appears to have settled in. He’s already up to 105 pitches but has allowed just three hits and fanned nine. The ace struck out the side in the top of the sixth inning. To the bottom of the sixth we go.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)