Oct 6, 2012, 10:46 PM EDT
The Reds lost their ace in the bottom of the first inning to a back injury, but they have an early lead in this NLDS Game 1 at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
Drew Stubbs hit a leadoff single in the top of the third inning, then Brandon Phillips waited on a hanging curveball from Giants starter Matt Cain and deposited it with authority into the first row of the left-center field stands, pushing Cincinnati ahead 2-0.
Cain was on a run of 23 2/3 straight scoreless postseason innings before giving up the two-run blast.
Mat Latos will enter in the bottom of the third for Sam LeCure, who took over when Johnny Cueto went down after just eight pitches. Latos was scheduled to start Game 3, so changes will need to be made.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)