Oct 6, 2012, 10:46 PM EDT
The Reds lost their ace in the bottom of the first inning to a back injury, but they have an early lead in this NLDS Game 1 at San Francisco’s AT&T Park.
Drew Stubbs hit a leadoff single in the top of the third inning, then Brandon Phillips waited on a hanging curveball from Giants starter Matt Cain and deposited it with authority into the first row of the left-center field stands, pushing Cincinnati ahead 2-0.
Cain was on a run of 23 2/3 straight scoreless postseason innings before giving up the two-run blast.
Mat Latos will enter in the bottom of the third for Sam LeCure, who took over when Johnny Cueto went down after just eight pitches. Latos was scheduled to start Game 3, so changes will need to be made.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (196)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)