Oct 6, 2012, 11:51 PM EDT
The Giants’ offense was dormant through the first five innings of this NLDS Game 1 despite the early exit of one Johnny Cueto. But it woke up in the sixth.
MVP candidate Buster Posey hit a leadoff homer over the left field wall, then Hunter Pence smoked a Mat Latos pitch that was caught by Drew Stubbs on the warning track in dead center. Brandon Belt followed with what would have been a bloop single had Ryan Ludwick not made a full-extension diving catch. Gregor Blanco then reached on a bunt single before Brandon Crawford flew out to shallow left.
The Giants only got one run out of the active frame, but they finally made Latos work a bit. And that feels like progress in this particular game. The Reds lead 3-1 as we move to the top of the seventh inning.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 26
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)