Oct 6, 2012, 11:51 PM EDT
The Giants’ offense was dormant through the first five innings of this NLDS Game 1 despite the early exit of one Johnny Cueto. But it woke up in the sixth.
MVP candidate Buster Posey hit a leadoff homer over the left field wall, then Hunter Pence smoked a Mat Latos pitch that was caught by Drew Stubbs on the warning track in dead center. Brandon Belt followed with what would have been a bloop single had Ryan Ludwick not made a full-extension diving catch. Gregor Blanco then reached on a bunt single before Brandon Crawford flew out to shallow left.
The Giants only got one run out of the active frame, but they finally made Latos work a bit. And that feels like progress in this particular game. The Reds lead 3-1 as we move to the top of the seventh inning.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)