Oct 6, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Dusty Baker is currently in the final year of his contract with the Reds. The 63-year-old also just recently returned to the dugout after missing 11 games in September due to an irregular heartbeat and a mild stroke. However, he hinted to reporters yesterday that he intends to remain with the Reds next season.
Here’s a sampling of his comments via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“The way I look at it, we’ll get even better in the future,” Baker said. “The more mature these guys get, we’ve got a bunch of guys here still learning how to hit, still learning how to play, basically.”
Does that mean he will be back in 2013? Baker’s face cracked a smile.
“This is my team, you know,” Baker replied.
“Maybe [the stroke] was a sign I am supposed to stay maybe where I am,” Baker said. “I believe in signs, so sometimes it happens.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty has not discussed Baker’s situation publicly and intends to take care of it during the offseason. Baker is currently 19th all-time among managers with 1,571 wins, including a 419-391 record over five seasons with the Reds. Only Jim Leyland (15th all-time with 1,676 wins) has more wins among active managers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)