Oct 6, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Dusty Baker is currently in the final year of his contract with the Reds. The 63-year-old also just recently returned to the dugout after missing 11 games in September due to an irregular heartbeat and a mild stroke. However, he hinted to reporters yesterday that he intends to remain with the Reds next season.
Here’s a sampling of his comments via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“The way I look at it, we’ll get even better in the future,” Baker said. “The more mature these guys get, we’ve got a bunch of guys here still learning how to hit, still learning how to play, basically.”
Does that mean he will be back in 2013? Baker’s face cracked a smile.
“This is my team, you know,” Baker replied.
“Maybe [the stroke] was a sign I am supposed to stay maybe where I am,” Baker said. “I believe in signs, so sometimes it happens.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty has not discussed Baker’s situation publicly and intends to take care of it during the offseason. Baker is currently 19th all-time among managers with 1,571 wins, including a 419-391 record over five seasons with the Reds. Only Jim Leyland (15th all-time with 1,676 wins) has more wins among active managers.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)