Josh Hamilton hints at moving on after loss to Orioles

Oct 6, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT

Josh Hamilton Getty Getty Images

If last night was Josh Hamilton‘s final game in a Rangers’ uniform, it ended pretty ugly.

After Hamilton dropped a fly ball during the final game of the regular season against the Athletics, he went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a double-play ground ball last night. He saw a total of eight pitches.

Fans directed their anger and frustration at Hamilton, who told Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com that this wasn’t how he envisioned his final game with Texas.

“You hate to have it happen possibly the last game ever here, but at the same time, it’s one of those things,” Hamilton said after Texas’ 5-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles in Friday night’s one-game American League wild-card round. “I gave it my all every time I went out there. Hopefully, (fans) appreciated it more than they didn’t. I think they do. It’s one of those things, hey, we didn’t get a win, but you can’t win them all.”

Hamilton, 31, is the marquee name in what figures to be a weak free agent class, so he should do quite well as he tries to find the biggest payday of his career. He said that while he will “absolutely” give the Rangers the chance to match any offer he receives on the open market, he will decide on his next destination based on guidance from God.

“With prayer, where God says so. With prayer, where God says so. And with prayer, where God says so. Period. He’s always led me to the right places.”

Hamilton insisted the boos didn’t bother him and said the negative reaction from fans will not impact his decision this winter, but his paraphrasing of Matthew 10:14 was pretty telling.

“If they don’t receive you in a town, shake the dust off your feet and move to the next.”

Hamilton has a .305/.363/.549 batting line over five seasons with the Rangers to go along with 142 home runs, 506 RBI and a .912 OPS. He finished second in the majors this season behind Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera with 43 home runs and 128 RBI.

1. kvanhorn87 - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

God is calling you to New York. Some of the best dope(s) in the world. And I am not talking about drugs.

• alan3008 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I would say the NYY have a good chance to get him. Hell, they try to buy the World Series and are wayyyyyy over the salary cap every year. Even then they have a hard time because they have a bunch of prima donnas on the team and little chemistry. Baseball is broken and being over the cap should be against the rules, period! It’s not right, and it’s bad for the game. I always root against the Yankees, and usually against the team with the highest payroll. Go Reds!

• chill1184 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well one could look at the new luxury tax that was put in place this season as a soft cap. In addition the salary cap doesn’t really solve the competition issue that is raise with baseball. Bad decisions can still fuck your team, the salary cap just makes it worse IMO.

• thenoblefacehumper - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Salary cap? Dude, serious question, are you actually a baseball fan?

• pisano - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thank God an idiot like you has no say so in anything related to MLB.

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

There is no salary cap in baseball. How did this get 24 thumbs up?

• American of African Descent - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You think baseball has a competitive balance problem, so you blame spending on player salaries? If that’s true, how do you explain the the New York Mets? Or, on the other hand, the Tampa Bay Rays, who are competitive without a large payroll? Or the Minnesota Twins who put together a rather impressive run of division titles in the ’00s?

No, if baseball has a competitive imbalance problem, it is due to failed ownership. How else do you explain an organization like the Pirates, who haven’t had a winning season in twenty years? Or the Royals? Personally, if I ran baseball, I force ownership to sell (at a market price) if they can’t put a competitive team (above 0.500) on the field every five years, with a three year grace period (so a total of eight years) for any new ownership group. That’s how the free market works people — if a publicly traded company’s management failed to perform, a corporate raider would launch a proxy fight and replace management. Why shouldn’t baseball do the same thing?

• theawesomersfranchise - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yup either NY team would be stupid enough to invest in this guy.

PLEASE Yankees sign this guy long term so I can enjoy the laugh

2. lncrprl - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I hope so…….’cause that’s EXACTLY what the Skankees will need after they get CRUSHED by the O’s this week!

• sophiethegreatdane - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Come on, don’t jinx us.

3. storebrandcookies - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

It makes me so mad to see how Josh carried himself the last couple weeks of the season. Last night was an example of that as well. He relies on his talent way more than his brain. He wants to play Hero baseball and he thinks every pitch he swings at is a home run.

4. chill1184 - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Good to see the guy take it in stride. However one has to wonder if GM’s are willing to give the guy a huge payday because of his age and the unknown damage that his addictions did to his body. Should be an interesting topic for the offseason.

• ndrocks2 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

ditto – Hamilton will be 32 next season and is injury prone to begin with and years of abuse on his body may or may not be the reason but if didn’t help. Five years from know when he’s 38 I can’t imagine he’ll be much. Three years maximum anything longer and you better have all sort of buyout options.

5. zjfr2 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Something tells me what God’s going to say is oddly going to be inline with the largest offer.

• bla bla bla - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Amen.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

If I could “thumbs up” your post a million times, I would. I hate to be so cynical when people get into the whole reborn christian/god rules my world spin, but I just know too many people who are into this phase in their lives now where they do what they want, act like ass-clowns at the drop of a hat, then when they are done partying and having their sinful fun they preach God and lecture everyone else on their lives. I’m sure there are sincere people out there who really have “found god”, but the one’s I see are just the typical hypocrite.

• kkolchak - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yeah, wonder what would happen if God were to tell him to take the MLB minimum salary from Houston and live in poverty and help the poor like Jesus did. Something tells me he would have the Devil on line 2.

• andrewproughcfe - Oct 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

God helps those who help themselves…

6. aunwaqas02 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Reblogged this on emegaspot2.

7. alan3008 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Josh: Go back to the team that gave you a second chance in the first place: The Cincinnati Reds.
    I think somewhere in the bible it says not to be so damn greedy, so whatever the Reds offer, you should take it. Then the Reds would win about five World Series in a row. :-)

8. legacybroken - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM

He may have to wait ala Prince Fielder to get a big payday late in Free Agency. I don’t see any of the major spending power jumping at him, unless Mr Illitch has another big hole burning his pocket and decides he wants a Miggy, Prince, Hamilton, VMart middle of the order. I think he ends up either in San Francisco, Toronto or Baltimore who decide at the last moment to add a 95 milion dollar bat.

9. sjtorpitt - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Little chemistry Alan? You’re an idiot.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Of all his inane comments, you choose to latch on to chemistry? Not the “salary cap”, or “buying all the players” or “having a hard time” or “baseball is broken”?

10. jayscarpa - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yankees won’t sign him. San Francisco would be a good place for him.

• dakotah55 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

San Francisco? I don’t see God leading him to play in that den of iniquity. Although I don’t claim to have any special insight into what God is thinking.

I think zjfr2 is right – God will tell him to sign with the team that offers the most money. Its possible I’m just being cynical.

• clevername1 - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’m not so sure San Fran. is a good fit. Somewhere in the Bible it states dude should not bang another dude.

• jrd8523 - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Its not the 70’s anymore. Huge openly gay communities in every major city coast to coast.

11. jagsfan11 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

You should come to Tampa. Were one big bat away from being even better than we already are

• raysfan1 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

That would require a very deep discount. The Rays probably won’t be able to match BJ Upton’s best offer, let alone Hamilton’s.

• indaburg - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Maybe God will tell him he needs to return, just like the biblical prodigal son.

12. Carl Hancock - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Note to alan3008… there is no salary cap in baseball.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think when most people talk salary cap in baseball they are referring to the luxury tax threshold.

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

OR they don’t know WTF they are talking about. Could be that too.

13. aceshigh11 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The Yankees will NOT go after Josh Hamilton. I can’t see why they’d want to…this notion that they just go out and recklessly buy up every high-priced free agent is a holdover from the George days.

Yeah, they’ve got DEEP pockets, but they’re just not going to overpay for someone just because they can.

He’s an amazing player, but he’s physically and mentally fragile, and on the wrong side of 30.

Obviously someone will sign him, but I have a feeling they will not end up getting their money’s worth on the field.

• pisano - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

aces… I couldn’t agree with you more, I think they learned with Arod not to be giving out those long term mega contracts. They still have five more years with Arod, and what in Gods name are they going to do with him? at the rate of his falloff in production,it could get pretty ugly for the Yankees.

14. vallewho - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

“possibly the last game” …not a revelation by any means. It is simply the reality of the situation. Such insight from the author.

15. giantssb42champs - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

This guy belongs in Boston’s dysfunctional clubhouse.

16. marzalmighty - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

He’s going to return to the Rangers after 3 days? No thanks. Maybe we can get Nap resigned a little cheaper after his down year. Pipe dream… What would it take to pry Stanton from Miami?

17. thatyankeedude - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Ya im thinking god is gonna make him a Yankee

18. fhuizar - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

He’ll just be another cancer in the Red Sox clubhouse alongside the queen bee DP

19. bigmeechy74 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I was raised as a christian. I went to church for 25 years. Boy am I glad I got out of that craziness.

20. trollintrollintrollin - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

21. muskyhunter2542 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I could see him in Milwaukee. The Haron’s where his neighbors growing up.

22. onbucky96 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Like Reggie White, he’ll go where God tells him to go. In other words, he’ll go where the money is best. After all, stamped on every USA dollar bill is “IN GOD WE TRUST”.

23. legacybroken - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Yankees are trying to avoid the luxury tax, so I don’t think , they will sign him. Boston has the cash but Hamilton in that nest of vipers would be a recipe for disaster.

24. sictransitchris - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I love when people spout the most insanely incorrect trash about the Yankees and then call their fans dumb. Look in the mirror please.

25. nflfollower - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Well he’s kind of like a rasheed wallace, if anybody follows baseball and basketball. He’s a tremendous talent, but not mentally equipped to carry the weight of a franchise on his shoulders. He needs to go to a team that has veteran presence and leadership in the clubhouse, as well as an established superstar so people aren’t looking at josh Hamilton to be “THE man”. Detroit? Ha, but seriously, I think that kind of situation is what he needs.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2774)