Oct 6, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
If last night was Josh Hamilton‘s final game in a Rangers’ uniform, it ended pretty ugly.
After Hamilton dropped a fly ball during the final game of the regular season against the Athletics, he went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a double-play ground ball last night. He saw a total of eight pitches.
Fans directed their anger and frustration at Hamilton, who told Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com that this wasn’t how he envisioned his final game with Texas.
“You hate to have it happen possibly the last game ever here, but at the same time, it’s one of those things,” Hamilton said after Texas’ 5-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles in Friday night’s one-game American League wild-card round. “I gave it my all every time I went out there. Hopefully, (fans) appreciated it more than they didn’t. I think they do. It’s one of those things, hey, we didn’t get a win, but you can’t win them all.”
Hamilton, 31, is the marquee name in what figures to be a weak free agent class, so he should do quite well as he tries to find the biggest payday of his career. He said that while he will “absolutely” give the Rangers the chance to match any offer he receives on the open market, he will decide on his next destination based on guidance from God.
“With prayer, where God says so. With prayer, where God says so. And with prayer, where God says so. Period. He’s always led me to the right places.”
Hamilton insisted the boos didn’t bother him and said the negative reaction from fans will not impact his decision this winter, but his paraphrasing of Matthew 10:14 was pretty telling.
“If they don’t receive you in a town, shake the dust off your feet and move to the next.”
Hamilton has a .305/.363/.549 batting line over five seasons with the Rangers to go along with 142 home runs, 506 RBI and a .912 OPS. He finished second in the majors this season behind Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera with 43 home runs and 128 RBI.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)