Oct 6, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
If last night was Josh Hamilton‘s final game in a Rangers’ uniform, it ended pretty ugly.
After Hamilton dropped a fly ball during the final game of the regular season against the Athletics, he went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a double-play ground ball last night. He saw a total of eight pitches.
Fans directed their anger and frustration at Hamilton, who told Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com that this wasn’t how he envisioned his final game with Texas.
“You hate to have it happen possibly the last game ever here, but at the same time, it’s one of those things,” Hamilton said after Texas’ 5-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles in Friday night’s one-game American League wild-card round. “I gave it my all every time I went out there. Hopefully, (fans) appreciated it more than they didn’t. I think they do. It’s one of those things, hey, we didn’t get a win, but you can’t win them all.”
Hamilton, 31, is the marquee name in what figures to be a weak free agent class, so he should do quite well as he tries to find the biggest payday of his career. He said that while he will “absolutely” give the Rangers the chance to match any offer he receives on the open market, he will decide on his next destination based on guidance from God.
“With prayer, where God says so. With prayer, where God says so. And with prayer, where God says so. Period. He’s always led me to the right places.”
Hamilton insisted the boos didn’t bother him and said the negative reaction from fans will not impact his decision this winter, but his paraphrasing of Matthew 10:14 was pretty telling.
“If they don’t receive you in a town, shake the dust off your feet and move to the next.”
Hamilton has a .305/.363/.549 batting line over five seasons with the Rangers to go along with 142 home runs, 506 RBI and a .912 OPS. He finished second in the majors this season behind Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera with 43 home runs and 128 RBI.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants