Oct 6, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said before Wednesday’s season finale against the Marlins that his highest priority this offseason is to work out new deals with David Wright and R.A. Dickey. He’s determined to stay true to his word.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, a baseball source said that it’s “conceivable” that the club could have new deals with both players, at least in principle, by the time the World Series begins later this month.
The Mets hold club options on Wright ($16 million) and Dickey ($5 million) for next season, but each intend to test free agency if extensions aren’t worked out by spring training. Alderson has spoken with Wright’s representatives this week and it’s believed that he’ll seek a contract of at least seven years and $125 million. Alderson hasn’t discussed numbers with Dickey’s agent yet, but one “veteran agent” told Puma that the veteran knuckleballer will likely be getting “Oliver Perez dollars.” Painful reference aside, that means three years and $36 million.
It would be great news if the Mets can lock up their two big stars for the long haul, but the club is expected to have a payroll around $100 million in 2013. With Johan Santana ($25.5 million and $5.5 million buyout for 2014) and Jason Bay ($16 million and $3 million buyout for 2014) making up half of that total, you can forget about them doing anything significant in free agency this winter. And this report by Richard Sandomir in the New York Times indicates that ownership is still hard up for cash.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)