Oct 6, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s right-hander Pat Neshek undoubtedly took the mound with a heavy heart when he was called from the bullpen in the seventh inning of tonight’s ALDS Game 1 against the Tigers — only three days after losing his infant son just 23 hours after childbirth.
But the side-armer looked plenty composed.
Neshek induced a fielder’s choice groundout from Detroit’s Omar Infante then struck out Austin Jackson, holding two inherited runners at bay while keeping the Athletics within striking distance. He pointed to the sky as he exited the field, then put on a hoodie and took a seat in the dugout. When the TBS cameras panned to him after coming back from commercial break, he was seen letting out a deep breath.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)