Oct 6, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s right-hander Pat Neshek undoubtedly took the mound with a heavy heart when he was called from the bullpen in the seventh inning of tonight’s ALDS Game 1 against the Tigers — only three days after losing his infant son just 23 hours after childbirth.
But the side-armer looked plenty composed.
Neshek induced a fielder’s choice groundout from Detroit’s Omar Infante then struck out Austin Jackson, holding two inherited runners at bay while keeping the Athletics within striking distance. He pointed to the sky as he exited the field, then put on a hoodie and took a seat in the dugout. When the TBS cameras panned to him after coming back from commercial break, he was seen letting out a deep breath.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11