Oct 6, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s right-hander Pat Neshek undoubtedly took the mound with a heavy heart when he was called from the bullpen in the seventh inning of tonight’s ALDS Game 1 against the Tigers — only three days after losing his infant son just 23 hours after childbirth.
But the side-armer looked plenty composed.
Neshek induced a fielder’s choice groundout from Detroit’s Omar Infante then struck out Austin Jackson, holding two inherited runners at bay while keeping the Athletics within striking distance. He pointed to the sky as he exited the field, then put on a hoodie and took a seat in the dugout. When the TBS cameras panned to him after coming back from commercial break, he was seen letting out a deep breath.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 2
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 14
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8