Oct 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier this week that Rockies manager Jim Tracy was scheduled to have a sitdown with Rockies director of major league operations Bill Geivett this weekend. The meeting took place as scheduled yesterday, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will not make a decision on Tracy’s future until at least Monday.
According to Renck, Tracy is currently analyzing all of the issues discussed while making sure he is comfortable with his role moving forward. The dynamic has changed a bit over the past couple of months, as Geivett was given an office in the clubhouse in August and now focuses on roster management, especially in regard to the pitching staff. Meanwhile, general manager Dan O’Dowd is now focusing on the team’s farm system and player development.
Tracy was given an indefinite contract extension by O’Dowd last offseason, but only his salary for 2013 is guaranteed. If he sticks around as manager, he will not have the authority to decide whether to retain or fire his coaches like he did last offseason. That will be Geivett’s call.
Tracy has a 294-308 (.488) record over four seasons as manager of the Rockies. The club lost 89 games last year and a franchise-worst 98 games in 2012.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)