Oct 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier this week that Rockies manager Jim Tracy was scheduled to have a sitdown with Rockies director of major league operations Bill Geivett this weekend. The meeting took place as scheduled yesterday, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will not make a decision on Tracy’s future until at least Monday.
According to Renck, Tracy is currently analyzing all of the issues discussed while making sure he is comfortable with his role moving forward. The dynamic has changed a bit over the past couple of months, as Geivett was given an office in the clubhouse in August and now focuses on roster management, especially in regard to the pitching staff. Meanwhile, general manager Dan O’Dowd is now focusing on the team’s farm system and player development.
Tracy was given an indefinite contract extension by O’Dowd last offseason, but only his salary for 2013 is guaranteed. If he sticks around as manager, he will not have the authority to decide whether to retain or fire his coaches like he did last offseason. That will be Geivett’s call.
Tracy has a 294-308 (.488) record over four seasons as manager of the Rockies. The club lost 89 games last year and a franchise-worst 98 games in 2012.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)