Oct 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EST
Craig mentioned earlier this week that Rockies manager Jim Tracy was scheduled to have a sitdown with Rockies director of major league operations Bill Geivett this weekend. The meeting took place as scheduled yesterday, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will not make a decision on Tracy’s future until at least Monday.
According to Renck, Tracy is currently analyzing all of the issues discussed while making sure he is comfortable with his role moving forward. The dynamic has changed a bit over the past couple of months, as Geivett was given an office in the clubhouse in August and now focuses on roster management, especially in regard to the pitching staff. Meanwhile, general manager Dan O’Dowd is now focusing on the team’s farm system and player development.
Tracy was given an indefinite contract extension by O’Dowd last offseason, but only his salary for 2013 is guaranteed. If he sticks around as manager, he will not have the authority to decide whether to retain or fire his coaches like he did last offseason. That will be Geivett’s call.
Tracy has a 294-308 (.488) record over four seasons as manager of the Rockies. The club lost 89 games last year and a franchise-worst 98 games in 2012.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)