Oct 7, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
Cliff Pennington and Coco Crisp hit back-to-back singles to open the top of the third, then Yoenis Cespedes drove Pennington in with a base hit of his own. Crisp nearly scored when Brandon Moss punched a pitch to right field in the next at-bat, but the Tigers’ Avisail Garcia threw a dart to home plate and Gerald Laird made a nice, quick tag to nab the Oakland speedster. So it could have been much worse for Detroit.
The Tigers marched back in the bottom of the frame when Miguel Cabrera hit a one-out double and Delmon Young drove him in from third base on a slow-rolling grounder. The score is 1-1 as we open the fourth.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)