Oct 7, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
Cliff Pennington and Coco Crisp hit back-to-back singles to open the top of the third, then Yoenis Cespedes drove Pennington in with a base hit of his own. Crisp nearly scored when Brandon Moss punched a pitch to right field in the next at-bat, but the Tigers’ Avisail Garcia threw a dart to home plate and Gerald Laird made a nice, quick tag to nab the Oakland speedster. So it could have been much worse for Detroit.
The Tigers marched back in the bottom of the frame when Miguel Cabrera hit a one-out double and Delmon Young drove him in from third base on a slow-rolling grounder. The score is 1-1 as we open the fourth.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12