Oct 7, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Sick of being left to twist in the wind, Jim Tracy resigned as manager of the Rockies on Sunday afternoon.
The Rockies were clearly wavering on bringing back Tracy, and this seems to be the best-case scenario for them, as it gets them out of a potentially messy situation. Tracy didn’t have a contract beyond 2013, but he did have some sort of handshake, indefinite-commitment deal that might have made firing him problematic.
But the Rockies needed to move on, something they’ve always struggled to do. Even though they’ve reached the postseason just three times in 20 years, they’ve been very resistant to change. Even this summer, when they finally sort of made a big move in the front office, they simply altered GM Dan O’Dowd’s duties rather than firing him. They even allowed him to keep his title.
Tracy took over the Rockies after Clint Hurdle was let go in 2009, and he went 74-42 the rest of the way before Colorado lost in the NLDS. In the years since, the Rockies had slipped from 92 to 83 to 73 and now a franchise-worst 64 wins in 2012.
It seems doubtful Tracy will get another managerial gig right away. He’s not going to be a fit in Boston. Perhaps Miami would consider him if Ozzie Guillen is fired, but that too is a long shot.
Among the managerial candidates the Rockies could consider are the Indians’ Sandy Alomar Jr., Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and new Phillies third-base coach Ryne Sandberg.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)