Oct 7, 2012, 4:24 PM EST
Alburquerque kissed the ball before throwing it over to Prince Fielder for the out in a tie game. It was the only batter he’d face, and he was credited with the victory when the Tigers scored in the bottom of the ninth.
The A’s weren’t at all impressed by the gesture.
“It did get under my skin,” outfielder Josh Reddick said. “It was very unprofessional. I didn’t appreciate that one bit.”
One imagines the Tigers will tell Alburquerque not to do it again. If any Detroit reliever is going to make it a point to regularly show up the other team, it’s going to be Jose Valverde.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 6
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 11
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (254)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)