Oct 7, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Reds ace Johnny Cueto was lifted from Saturday night’s NLDS Game 1 victory over the Giants after just eight pitches because of back spasms. He appeared to be experiencing a considerable amount of discomfort while he sauntered from the mound to the visitors dugout, but some positive early signs have given hope to the Cincinnati coaching staff.
Here’s Reds manager Dusty Baker, speaking late Saturday with Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
“I saw Johnny after the game and he said he was better. Whatever that means, because he was in quite a bit of pain out there. The fact that he said he’s better, and Johnny is usually pretty honest with us, that gives us a glimmer of hope that he might be back (for Game 3).”
“I really feel better,” Cueto confirmed to reporters later. “Right now doing normal activities, I feel good.”
Mat Latos was scheduled to start Game 3 but had to be used in relief on Saturday in San Francisco after Cueto made his early departure. Latos wound up throwing 57 pitches over four innings of one-run ball.
The Reds currently lead the five-game series 1-0. Game 2 is Sunday night. Game 3 is Tuesday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (106)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (80)