Oct 7, 2012, 3:08 PM EST
Delmon Young and Jhonny Peralta hit back-to-back singles to open the bottom of the eighth then advanced to second and third base when Andy Dirks executed a sacrifice bunt. Quintin Berry struck out looking against Oakland’s Ryan Cook for the Tigers’ second out but the runner from third scooted home in the next at-bat when Cook bounced a ball in front of A’s catcher George Kottaras and it made its way all the way to the backstop.
The score is tied 4-4 as the ninth inning gets underway. The drama is palpable in Detroit.
- Curtis Granderson: “Real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 0
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 49
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 49
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)