Oct 7, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Nationals and Cardinals have both wasted big scoring chances throughout this NLDS Game 1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. But in the top of the eighth inning Washington finally broke through.
Tyler Moore, a 25-year-old rookie serving as a pinch-hitter, guided a Marc Rzepczynski pitch into shallow right field to score Michael Morse from third base and Ian Desmond from second, putting the Nationals ahead 3-2 with the day growing late.
St. Louis will try to rally in the bottom of the eighth, but the back end of the Nats’ bullpen is about as stout as it gets in the National League.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)