Oct 7, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Nationals and Cardinals have both wasted big scoring chances throughout this NLDS Game 1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. But in the top of the eighth inning Washington finally broke through.
Tyler Moore, a 25-year-old rookie serving as a pinch-hitter, guided a Marc Rzepczynski pitch into shallow right field to score Michael Morse from third base and Ian Desmond from second, putting the Nationals ahead 3-2 with the day growing late.
St. Louis will try to rally in the bottom of the eighth, but the back end of the Nats’ bullpen is about as stout as it gets in the National League.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)