Oct 7, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Nationals and Cardinals have both wasted big scoring chances throughout this NLDS Game 1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. But in the top of the eighth inning Washington finally broke through.
Tyler Moore, a 25-year-old rookie serving as a pinch-hitter, guided a Marc Rzepczynski pitch into shallow right field to score Michael Morse from third base and Ian Desmond from second, putting the Nationals ahead 3-2 with the day growing late.
St. Louis will try to rally in the bottom of the eighth, but the back end of the Nats’ bullpen is about as stout as it gets in the National League.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 0
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)