Oct 7, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
The Nationals and Cardinals have both wasted big scoring chances throughout this NLDS Game 1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. But in the top of the eighth inning Washington finally broke through.
Tyler Moore, a 25-year-old rookie serving as a pinch-hitter, guided a Marc Rzepczynski pitch into shallow right field to score Michael Morse from third base and Ian Desmond from second, putting the Nationals ahead 3-2 with the day growing late.
St. Louis will try to rally in the bottom of the eighth, but the back end of the Nats’ bullpen is about as stout as it gets in the National League.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)