Oct 8, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that Ellis will be sidelined for six weeks, which should give him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training.
After years of being stuck in the minors and then in a backup role in the majors Ellis finally got his big chance this season at age 31 and took advantage by hitting .270 with 13 homers, 65 walks, and a .786 OPS that ranked eighth among the 26 players with at least 75 games caught.
He played 133 games and caught 1,151 innings after coming into the season with a total of 87 games and 568 innings for his career.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)