Oct 8, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that Ellis will be sidelined for six weeks, which should give him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training.
After years of being stuck in the minors and then in a backup role in the majors Ellis finally got his big chance this season at age 31 and took advantage by hitting .270 with 13 homers, 65 walks, and a .786 OPS that ranked eighth among the 26 players with at least 75 games caught.
He played 133 games and caught 1,151 innings after coming into the season with a total of 87 games and 568 innings for his career.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)