Oct 8, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that Ellis will be sidelined for six weeks, which should give him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training.
After years of being stuck in the minors and then in a backup role in the majors Ellis finally got his big chance this season at age 31 and took advantage by hitting .270 with 13 homers, 65 walks, and a .786 OPS that ranked eighth among the 26 players with at least 75 games caught.
He played 133 games and caught 1,151 innings after coming into the season with a total of 87 games and 568 innings for his career.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)