And That Happened: Sunday’s Playoff Highlights

Oct 8, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Detroit Tigers - Game Two Getty Images

Tigers 5, Athletics 4: Don Kelly with the walkoff? Sure, why not? The A’s are in a deep hole now, down 2-0 in a best of five. How quickly the magic pixie dust from a late regular season run fades.

Nationals 3, Cardinals 2: Gio Gonzalez walked the world, but the Nats rallied and Mike Matheny got outsmarted by Davey Johnson. It’s happened to a lot of ‘em, Mike. Don’t worry too much about it.

Yankees 7, Orioles 2:  CC Sabathia comes up huge and the Orioles bullpen, for once, gets kicked around.

Reds 9, Giants 0: Bronson Arroyo allowed one hit over seven shutout innings. I know it’s not officially over, but between this and the A’s, I’m not gonna make any reservations for a possible Bay Area World Series.

1. daveitsgood - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM

good thing the A’s have home field advantage and got to start on the road in a best of 5 otherwise they’d really be in trouble!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM

If Coco Crisp had caught that ball, the series would probably be tied with the remaining 3 games in Oakland.

• Old Gator - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM

My son has an old Invader Zim T-shirt that says something like “I like you. When I take over, your death will be quick and painless.” Not sure why the Cincinnati-Oakland series reminds me of that.

• nflfollower - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Every team that doesn’t win the WS will be saying what if about one play or another. Only the champion won’t be.

• COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I’m going to disagree.

Caught the ball AND made the slide into home. Then maybe, but you never know.

The Tigers may have been out classed (kissing the ball) but they outplayed the A’s.

• annaalamode - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM

And if wishes were shoes, I’d need another closet.

• deepstblu - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

The three other teams that had to start on the road despite better records are 4-0 so far.

2. Carter Dotson - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I’m not a fan of this year’s ridiculous playoff format, but hey, if it’s causing the A’s to go down in flames, then I’m all for it! /bitter Rangers fan

• kiwicricket - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Poor form.

3. darthicarus - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I do agree, this year’s playoff format is rather stupid but as a Tigers fan I approve of MLB’s stupidity (this time).

• someguyinva - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Back when there were only two divisions per league and the LCS was a five game affair, the 2-3 format was how it was done, and home field was, IIRC, alternated year to year between East and West. While we didn’t have sites such as this at our disposal then, I don’t remember much hue and cry about the format being fair or unfair.

I personally don’t see home field advantage as that big a deal in baseball, the ’87 and ’91 Twins notwithstanding.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I came on this morning to get the results from Saturday and Sunday. I happened to catch the Friday night Atlanta Braves debacle and watched as HUNDREDS of bottles, cups, and various other objects were thrown onto the field by their unruly fans. While I was amazed to see that they are actually alive, I could only wonder about how much their fans would be ripped in the national media.

**crickets **

So this morning, I checked HBT history to see what they wrote about it. I figured Craig or one of the other boys would have posted something SPECIFICALLY ripping the Atlanta fans this weekend. Something. Anything. Not ripping them within a post that rips the call. One. Post. Ripping. The. Atlanta. Fans.

** crickets **

Maybe Craig will post something today and prove me wrong, but I doubt it. I don’t know what the bigger disgrace is…the behavior of the disgraceful Atlanta fans throwing HUNDREDS of objects onto the field…or the national media, HBT included, saying UN GOTZ about it. Ridiculous..

• dondada10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next post is about the bottle throwing incident. Craig’s a Braves fan, but he’s not aloof.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I already wrote a comment about it in the post going live at 8:23AM. It’s part of the weekend wrap, but I think you’ll find that i’m honest about it.

Seriously, Chris: I realize I mess with Phillies fans, but what have I ever done that makes you think I’d overlook something like that?

• paperlions - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Philly phans are both proud of and sensitive about their asshattery….it’s part of their….uh….um….charm.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Eh, you know you can’t win Craig. Even when you post something about it today(which I was always sure you would, I just was doing a #reversebait), I am going to say where was your post Friday night ;)

ps…admit it, no matter where you were Friday night, you would have found a way to create an entire post the minute the first bottle was thrown had it been in Philly. Whether it be from your iPad, your iPhone, your Samsung, borrowing a random person on the street’s phone, or whether you would have had to stop at a local Kinko’s to create the post…it was happening!!!

• Old Gator - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Chances are that with the exception of the former colonies of the Ted Turner empire, who haven’t had quite enough time to break their bad habits yet, the national media wasn’t paying much if any attention to the Braves game in the first place, so in balance the fans’ behavior was the actual disgrace. But it’s the media, it’s an election year, so we can be certain that our reporter and pundit pals will find plenty of exciting new ways to disgrace themselves that will dwarf in cringe factor their neglect of the goings-on in Atlantis on Friday.

• dondada10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Chris, how do you know Craig wasn’t getting laid when the bottle throwing incident occurred?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

How do you know getting laid is more important to him that baiting Phillies fans?

• dondada10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM

He’s a man.

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I think they’re just estatic that the Braves fans actaully showed up for once.

5. ponsonbybritt - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Hopefully Don Kelly didn’t throw his back out trying to heave Prince Fielder into the stands.

• COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM

agree.

6. legacybroken - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Tigers pitchers are K’ing Athletics at a ridiculous rate. When one team already has 23 strikeouts in two playoff games, its pretty easy to see why they are down 2-0. A’s season now in the hands of a young pitcher with arm troubles since mid September against a suddenly hot Anibal Sanchez.

• COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

:-D Go Tigres!

7. APBA Guy - Oct 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Good thing it’s a sort-of holiday in the Bay Area (as in the rest of the US) otherwise the moaning around the proverbial water-cooler would be relentless. Suddenly the A’s fans have company in the form of Giants fans. At least the A’s can say they were shut down by Verlander and Fister in 40 degree weather. But Arroyo? Wow, that must hurt.

Seriously, much went wrong in yesterday’s game for the A’s, chief among the issues was Crisp’s drop, well analyzed by Ron Gant on MLB Tonight (never try for the basket catch). But the A’s battled back, only to have the bullpen overthrow every pitch and lose the game. You expect that with the rookies, but Balfour has been there before.

Hopefully, the A’s can re-discover their “pixie dust” in the Mausoleum. Or perhaps the giant rats will rise up and terrify the Tigers in their dressing room in a show of A’s unity. Goodness knows the A’s need something. Between Crisp and Parker’s errors, 23 k’s, and 40 degree weather, that was a thoroughly miserable 2 games. Although, to be fair, Verlander and Miggy look like the two best players on the planet right now. And Leyland probably can’t remember the last time he made a mistake in a playoff game.

• COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

“Verlander and Miggy look like the two best players on the planet right now”
      yes. They both won Triple Crowns over the last two seasons, and they will probably BOTH be MVP’s in two seasons.

Best pitcher + Best batter = hard to beat.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5458)