Oct 8, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Andy Pettitte takes the mound for the Yankees tonight in Game 2 of the ALDS against the Orioles and yesterday the 40-year-old left-hander dropped some pretty strong hints that he plans to return in 2013.
“I know the competition and the desire to compete is still there and I don’t feel like I kind of got that itch out from the 70 innings or so that I threw this year,” Pettitte said, via Mark Hale of the New York Post. “I was expecting to do a little bit more work than that.”
He made similar comments upon returning from the disabled list last month, basically saying that he was initially certain this would be his final season but started changing his mind after breaking his ankle.
Performance-wise there’s certainly no reason for Pettitte to call it quits, as he posted a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio in 75 innings for his best ERA and K/BB ratio since 2005 and his best strikeout rate since 2004.
And now he’s starting Game 2 of the playoffs for the team with the best record in the league.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)