Oct 8, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
As soon as Oakland included Brett Anderson on the ALDS roster despite not pitching since injuring his oblique on September 19 it was clear they planned for him to start a game against Detroit and sure enough he’ll get the call for Game 3 tomorrow night.
Before the oblique injury Anderson had pitched very well in his return from Tommy John elbow surgery, starting six games with a 2.57 ERA and 25/7 K/BB ratio in 35 innings. Relying on him for what is truly a must-win game is risky simply because he hasn’t faced big-league hitters in three weeks, but he reported no problems following a bullpen session Saturday.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)