Oct 8, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Brian McCann struggled mightily down the stretch and was benched in the wild card game in favor of David Ross. There was an awful lot of talk about him being banged up, but it was apparently more than merely being banged up.
David O’Brien reports that McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder, that was mostly in need of rest, not the knife. But he McCann tells him the he will have an MRI within a week to determine the full extent of the damage. McCann is thinking surgery, it it could lead to a long rehab:
“We already basically know what is going to happen, what needs to happen,” McCann said. “I think it’s going to be [a matter of] how long I’m out for. Could be a couple of months, it could be a little more than that. Could be four or five months. We’ll see what happens. We’ll find out. I can’t really say right now, but I’m pretty sure surgery.”
Four months will put him into February and the start of spring training before he can do anything. Five runs well into March. It’s not a stretch to think that McCann — who will likely be playing on the $12 million team option the Braves are expected to exercise after the season is over — could miss the beginning of the season next year.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 44
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)