Oct 8, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Brian McCann struggled mightily down the stretch and was benched in the wild card game in favor of David Ross. There was an awful lot of talk about him being banged up, but it was apparently more than merely being banged up.
David O’Brien reports that McCann was diagnosed midseason with a frayed labrum and cyst in his throwing shoulder, that was mostly in need of rest, not the knife. But he McCann tells him the he will have an MRI within a week to determine the full extent of the damage. McCann is thinking surgery, it it could lead to a long rehab:
“We already basically know what is going to happen, what needs to happen,” McCann said. “I think it’s going to be [a matter of] how long I’m out for. Could be a couple of months, it could be a little more than that. Could be four or five months. We’ll see what happens. We’ll find out. I can’t really say right now, but I’m pretty sure surgery.”
Four months will put him into February and the start of spring training before he can do anything. Five runs well into March. It’s not a stretch to think that McCann — who will likely be playing on the $12 million team option the Braves are expected to exercise after the season is over — could miss the beginning of the season next year.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11