Oct 8, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT
After 13 years in the bigs, Bronson Arroyo finally has a postseason victory to his credit. He was nearly perfect for seven innings Sunday in combining with two relievers on a two-hit shutout as the Reds topped the Giants 9-0.
The Reds will take a 2-0 series lead with them as they go home for the remainder of the NLDS.
Arroyo retired 14 in a row to start the game before Brandon Belt singled with two outs in the fifth. It proved to be the only hit Arroyo would allow through seven innings. Arroyo remained in to bat in the top of the eighth, but he was removed after the Reds scored five times in the frame, upping their lead from four runs to nine.
The outing lowered Arroyo’s postseason ERA from 6.04 to 4.60. He had previously made three starts and eight relief appearances in October, but only one of those — a no-decision against the Phillies in the 2010 NLDS — came in his seven years with the Reds.
Cincinnati took an early lead tonight on Ryan Ludwick‘s second-inning solo homer and kept the pressure on Madison Bumgarner with four singles in a three-run fourth. Tim Lincecum was able to quiet the Reds in his third ever relief appearance, working scoreless sixth and seventh innings. However, the Reds put the game away when they batted around in the eighth.
The Giants announced earlier Sunday that they’ll throw Ryan Vogelsong when the series resumes Tuesday in Cincinnati. The Reds have Homer Bailey listed as their starter, and with the 2-0 lead, it’s become more likely that they’ll go that route. The alternative would be to bring back Johnny Cueto after he left Saturday’s game in the first inning with back spasms.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)