Oct 8, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
The Cardinals had all sorts of opportunities in Game 1 of the NLDS against the Nationals yesterday, but they collected just three hits and went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position. They aren’t wasting those chances today.
The Cardinals got to Jordan Zimmermann early and currently lead the Nationals 7-1 through four innings in St. Louis.
The Nationals got on the board first via an RBI single by Zimmermann in the top of the second inning, but the Cardinals battled right back with four straight hits to begin the bottom-half of the inning, including an RBI double by David Freese and an RBI single by Daniel Descalso. After seeing his team squander opportunities yesterday, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny then made the bold decision to have Skip Schumaker pinch-hit for starting pitcher Jamie Garcia. It paid off, as Schumaker drove in a run with a ground out before Jon Jay knocked in Descalso with the fourth run before he was cut down trying to stretch a single into a double.
Allen Craig extended the Cardinals’ lead in the third with a solo home run just inside the left field foul pole. The Cardinals tacked on two more in the fourth, as Descalso hit a solo homer to right-center field off Craig Stammen and Pete Kozma scored on a fielding error by Ian Desmond. Lance Lynn is currently pitching for the Cardinals, who appear poised to bring this series to 1-1 going to Washington, D.C.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)