Oct 8, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
The Cardinals had all sorts of opportunities in Game 1 of the NLDS against the Nationals yesterday, but they collected just three hits and went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position. They aren’t wasting those chances today.
The Cardinals got to Jordan Zimmermann early and currently lead the Nationals 7-1 through four innings in St. Louis.
The Nationals got on the board first via an RBI single by Zimmermann in the top of the second inning, but the Cardinals battled right back with four straight hits to begin the bottom-half of the inning, including an RBI double by David Freese and an RBI single by Daniel Descalso. After seeing his team squander opportunities yesterday, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny then made the bold decision to have Skip Schumaker pinch-hit for starting pitcher Jamie Garcia. It paid off, as Schumaker drove in a run with a ground out before Jon Jay knocked in Descalso with the fourth run before he was cut down trying to stretch a single into a double.
Allen Craig extended the Cardinals’ lead in the third with a solo home run just inside the left field foul pole. The Cardinals tacked on two more in the fourth, as Descalso hit a solo homer to right-center field off Craig Stammen and Pete Kozma scored on a fielding error by Ian Desmond. Lance Lynn is currently pitching for the Cardinals, who appear poised to bring this series to 1-1 going to Washington, D.C.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)