Cespedes on the Alburquerque kiss: “I am going to hit the ball hard against him and I am going to kiss my bat”

Oct 8, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT

Al Alburquerque

As we mentioned yesterday, A’s outfielder Yoenis Cespedes hit a comebacker to end the top of the ninth in Game 2 of the ALDS. Tigers reliever Al Alburquerque fielded it and then kissed it before throwing him out at first.  After the game, Cespedes said how he planned to respond:

“We’re not finished yet,. When I get back to Oakland, I am going to hit the ball hard against him. And I am going to kiss my bat.”

That’s probably the best revenge for what, while not an international incident or anything, was pretty bush league, bro.*  But before that happens, Albuquerque himself may try to forge the peace. Bob Nightengale reports that the Tigers are going to try to set the young man straight:

“You cannot do that, that’s just not right,” Tigers MVP candidate Miguel Cabrera told USA TODAY Sports. “This game is about respect. We know he’s excited, but you have to respect the game.

“I will talk to him, and tell him that you cannot do that.”

Expect an apology of some sort before Game 3 gets underway tomorrow.

*Man, I really wish they’d make new avocado commercials. Is this season three of those “bush league, bro,” commercials or just two? Seems like a million. And don’t give me that “well, you remember them and that’s the point!” jazz.  I remember having my wisdom teeth pulled too. Doesn’t mean I want to do it again.

1. darthicarus - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I just hope no Tigers accidentally run across the mound or the A’s dugout might explode.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

LOL. I actually pictured. Miggy going over the mound and the A’s dugout literally exploding cartoon style!

2. deadeyedesign23 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

The odd of it happening are pretty slim. Hell the odds of Cespedis coming up while Alburquerque is in the game aren’t even that great, but if he took him deep and kissed his bat it’d be pretty gangster.

3. Old Gator - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Another stupid “unwritten rule.” It’s just weenie wagging on a conceptual level. But then I guess if you play a kid’s game for a living, your adolescence gets protracted in a variety of other directions too.

• beelza - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

We’re professional athletes, we’re tough, we’re soldiers, we battle. One little kiss obliterates the entire A’s team psyche. I’m very happy that a no-name, very forgettable, Tigers reliever can get so far into the A’s heads. How much time are the A’s spending on their 24 strike-outs in 2 games. They are not yet ready for the big stage.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No name? Al Alburquerque is the BEST name on the Tigers. Maybe in all of baseball.

• catswithbats - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Are you Mike Francesa?

• stex52 - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how many thumbs downs you can get for such an obviously true statement. I guess most of us check our brains in at the door.

• scatterbrian - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Baseball is an adult’s game that’s sometimes played by kids.

4. Liam - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This is at least year four of The Avocado Commercial. I remember seeing that commercial and the Black Eyed Peas moon elephant DirecTV commercial about thirteen kagillion times in the 2009 playoffs.

• Liam - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

While I’m talking about overrun playoff commercials, I think we should all take a minute to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the “I hear the kids are planning something” Youth of the Nation commercial for the Boston Public season premiere. And if you want to feel old, next year “HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY” turns ten.

5. sedettiger - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Baseball players and coaches need to quit sweating the small stuff. I have no problem with what Alburquerque did just like I won’t have a problem when the first A’s player to take any of our pitchers deep in game 3 wants to kiss his bat or whatever. It’s all in good fun.

• historiophiliac - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Since I commented about AA kissing the ball, I thought I should go on the record that I would laugh if A’s players kissed their bats after hits too (although that would be a problem for them if it wasn’t a home run). I enjoy the good natured ribbing. If they want to do a wiggle dance after stealing a base or a high kick after a basket catch, they should knock themselves out. You have to get on the highlight reel somehow. I’d much rather that than they throw things because they’re pissed.

6. COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Full discretion , I’m a Tigers fan.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Yes, maybe save it for once the play is over, but I just think the A’s overreacted, probably because they lost in a hard fought game.

EIther way you look at it, it (the entire game) was great baseball. No matter who you root for.

7. COTorrey - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Oh, and the more video I watch, I’ve decided Coco Crispies lost that game as much as the Tigers won it.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Totally agree, and IMO, Coco Puffs was showboating on that attempted cacth. No need to basket that at all, no way

8. beelza - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

As a Detroit fan, I’d like the opportunity to speak with Mr. Cespedes…and ask him if brought any cigars with him. 2 errors coast Oakland 2 wins, but the real story is blowing kisses. Bay area clowns. Come Tuesday the A’s and Giants can cry on each others shoulders, saying it’s not fair.

9. deweyks - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

OK, Oakland…remember these quotes from 2 weeks ago?:

“We’ve got 17 rookies who are here. These guys are playing the game to have fun. When you take fun out of the game, you’re going to have 17 rookies crumble.” – Jonny Gomes

“We’re a team that likes to have fun. We were just doing that. Long game, we got a couple [important] hits. We were enjoying it.” – Cliff Pennington

“We just came back to take the lead. We were just excited. We weren’t trying to be disrespectful.” – Collin Cowgill

“We play the game hard and we respect it out on the field. … We play the game right on the field definitely, and if you keep things loose in your dugout, there’s nothing wrong with that.” – Bob Melvin

That was after a game in which the A’s hit three 13th inning homers and the bench was doing “an orchestrated clapping, chanting” celebration. Huh…it’s alright for you to have fun but not anyone else?

10. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM

You want to bring up bad commercials. What the heck is up with the awful Barbasol commercials? Close shave America my ass…

11. ktigerk - Oct 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Seriously – the As are that childish?
    They declare the are a fun team?
    Yet then act like spoiled children
    They put the A in A$$HOLEs – LMAO

12. twelsh36446 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Just think the worse that could happen is the A’s win two games, and tie it up, and then have a Verlander pitch a no-hitter against them. Or, maybe Anibal Sanchez could pitch a no-hitter against them tonight. Any team that would pick up Brandon Inge, and think he was a star play has some screws loose.

13. massivedick - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I got 2 words for the A’s … “more fiber”

Ace-killer Giants do it again