Cespedes on the Alburquerque kiss: “I am going to hit the ball hard against him and I am going to kiss my bat”
Oct 8, 2012, 8:54 AM EST
As we mentioned yesterday, A’s outfielder Yoenis Cespedes hit a comebacker to end the top of the ninth in Game 2 of the ALDS. Tigers reliever Al Alburquerque fielded it and then kissed it before throwing him out at first. After the game, Cespedes said how he planned to respond:
“We’re not finished yet,. When I get back to Oakland, I am going to hit the ball hard against him. And I am going to kiss my bat.”
That’s probably the best revenge for what, while not an international incident or anything, was pretty bush league, bro.* But before that happens, Albuquerque himself may try to forge the peace. Bob Nightengale reports that the Tigers are going to try to set the young man straight:
“You cannot do that, that’s just not right,” Tigers MVP candidate Miguel Cabrera told USA TODAY Sports. “This game is about respect. We know he’s excited, but you have to respect the game.
“I will talk to him, and tell him that you cannot do that.”
Expect an apology of some sort before Game 3 gets underway tomorrow.
*Man, I really wish they’d make new avocado commercials. Is this season three of those “bush league, bro,” commercials or just two? Seems like a million. And don’t give me that “well, you remember them and that’s the point!” jazz. I remember having my wisdom teeth pulled too. Doesn’t mean I want to do it again.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)