Oct 8, 2012, 9:57 PM EST
The Orioles have taken the lead over the Yankees in Baltimore. Chris Davis just knocked in two runs with a bases-loaded single off Andy Pettitte in the bottom of the third inning to put the Orioles on the board and give them a 2-1 lead.
Adam Jones followed Davis’ hit with a bleeder that went under the glove of Derek Jeter and into shallow left field, but J.J. Hardy failed to pick up his third base coach and run home. It appears that he thought Jeter made the play. He was also deked by Alex Rodriguez, who made him think the ball was about to be thrown to third base.
Matt Wieters flew out on the next pitch for the final out of the inning, but it could have been a 3-1 lead for the O’s. The Hardy play could loom large in this one.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)