Oct 8, 2012, 9:57 PM EST
The Orioles have taken the lead over the Yankees in Baltimore. Chris Davis just knocked in two runs with a bases-loaded single off Andy Pettitte in the bottom of the third inning to put the Orioles on the board and give them a 2-1 lead.
Adam Jones followed Davis’ hit with a bleeder that went under the glove of Derek Jeter and into shallow left field, but J.J. Hardy failed to pick up his third base coach and run home. It appears that he thought Jeter made the play. He was also deked by Alex Rodriguez, who made him think the ball was about to be thrown to third base.
Matt Wieters flew out on the next pitch for the final out of the inning, but it could have been a 3-1 lead for the O’s. The Hardy play could loom large in this one.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)