Oct 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
During an online chat with Diamondbacks fans yesterday team president Derrick Hall answered a question about closer J.J. Putz by saying that “it is hard to imagine us not” exercising his $6.5 million option for 2013.
Arizona has the choice of buying out Putz for $1.5 million instead, but he was as effective as ever with a 2.82 ERA and 65/11 K/BB ratio in 54 innings.
Putz has a lengthy injury history and at age 36 giving him a long-term deal would be very risky, but for a one-year commitment at a reasonable price it should be pretty close to a no-brainer for the Diamondbacks.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)