Oct 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
During an online chat with Diamondbacks fans yesterday team president Derrick Hall answered a question about closer J.J. Putz by saying that “it is hard to imagine us not” exercising his $6.5 million option for 2013.
Arizona has the choice of buying out Putz for $1.5 million instead, but he was as effective as ever with a 2.82 ERA and 65/11 K/BB ratio in 54 innings.
Putz has a lengthy injury history and at age 36 giving him a long-term deal would be very risky, but for a one-year commitment at a reasonable price it should be pretty close to a no-brainer for the Diamondbacks.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)