Oct 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
During an online chat with Diamondbacks fans yesterday team president Derrick Hall answered a question about closer J.J. Putz by saying that “it is hard to imagine us not” exercising his $6.5 million option for 2013.
Arizona has the choice of buying out Putz for $1.5 million instead, but he was as effective as ever with a 2.82 ERA and 65/11 K/BB ratio in 54 innings.
Putz has a lengthy injury history and at age 36 giving him a long-term deal would be very risky, but for a one-year commitment at a reasonable price it should be pretty close to a no-brainer for the Diamondbacks.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car