Oct 8, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Rather than go back to their ace on short rest, the Giants plan to start Barry Zito against the Reds if they extend the NLDS to four games, manager Bruce Bochy announced Monday.
The Giants picked Zito over Matt Cain even though it would be a do-or-die situation. Down 2-0 in the best-of-five series, they need to win Tuesday’s Game 3 with Ryan Vogelsong on the mound just to get to Game 4.
The guess here is that if it were a winner-take-all game, the Giants would go with Cain over Zito. However, they probably feel better about their chances of winning two games with Zito and Cain on regular rest than Cain and Madison Bumgarner on short rest, particularly after Bumgarner struggled last night.
Besides, Zito has been their good-luck charm these last two months. The Giants have won each of his last 11 starts, even though Zito has a 3.91 ERA during the span. Overall, Zito was 15-8 with a 4.15 ERA this season. He went 0-1 with a 1.50 ERA in two starts against the Reds.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)