Oct 8, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia will be removed from the NLDS roster due to his shoulder injury.
The Cardinals can replace Garcia on the roster, but this makes him ineligible to pitch if the club advances to the NLCS. Of course, depending upon the severity of the injury, it’s possible he won’t be available anyway.
Interestingly, Strauss notes that several of Garcia’s teammates are “furious” over the situation. It’s not clear what they are furious about exactly, but Garcia told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com he has been bothered by shoulder discomfort since Friday. According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia did not say anything to the Cardinals until today’s game.
8:43 PM: Here’s some potentially troubling news for the Cardinals.
According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jaime Garcia aggravated his left shoulder injury during his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals this afternoon and was sent for an MRI.
Garcia allowed one run on two hits and three walks over just two innings this afternoon before exiting. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny pinch-hit for him during a four-run second inning and his shoulder was apparently the reason for his abbreviated outing.
Garcia missed over two months earlier this year due to a shoulder strain, so there’s a chance he could be done for the rest of the postseason. Lance Lynn, who tossed three innings in relief this afternoon, would likely take his spot in the starting rotation if the Cardinals advance to the NLCS.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)