Oct 8, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia will be removed from the NLDS roster due to his shoulder injury.
The Cardinals can replace Garcia on the roster, but this makes him ineligible to pitch if the club advances to the NLCS. Of course, depending upon the severity of the injury, it’s possible he won’t be available anyway.
Interestingly, Strauss notes that several of Garcia’s teammates are “furious” over the situation. It’s not clear what they are furious about exactly, but Garcia told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com he has been bothered by shoulder discomfort since Friday. According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia did not say anything to the Cardinals until today’s game.
8:43 PM: Here’s some potentially troubling news for the Cardinals.
According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jaime Garcia aggravated his left shoulder injury during his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals this afternoon and was sent for an MRI.
Garcia allowed one run on two hits and three walks over just two innings this afternoon before exiting. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny pinch-hit for him during a four-run second inning and his shoulder was apparently the reason for his abbreviated outing.
Garcia missed over two months earlier this year due to a shoulder strain, so there’s a chance he could be done for the rest of the postseason. Lance Lynn, who tossed three innings in relief this afternoon, would likely take his spot in the starting rotation if the Cardinals advance to the NLCS.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)