Oct 8, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia will be removed from the NLDS roster due to his shoulder injury.
The Cardinals can replace Garcia on the roster, but this makes him ineligible to pitch if the club advances to the NLCS. Of course, depending upon the severity of the injury, it’s possible he won’t be available anyway.
Interestingly, Strauss notes that several of Garcia’s teammates are “furious” over the situation. It’s not clear what they are furious about exactly, but Garcia told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com he has been bothered by shoulder discomfort since Friday. According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia did not say anything to the Cardinals until today’s game.
8:43 PM: Here’s some potentially troubling news for the Cardinals.
According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jaime Garcia aggravated his left shoulder injury during his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals this afternoon and was sent for an MRI.
Garcia allowed one run on two hits and three walks over just two innings this afternoon before exiting. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny pinch-hit for him during a four-run second inning and his shoulder was apparently the reason for his abbreviated outing.
Garcia missed over two months earlier this year due to a shoulder strain, so there’s a chance he could be done for the rest of the postseason. Lance Lynn, who tossed three innings in relief this afternoon, would likely take his spot in the starting rotation if the Cardinals advance to the NLCS.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 15
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 35
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 62
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)