Oct 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
There has been a lot of chatter about how the 2-3 format of the division series — with the higher seed starting on the road for two games — is not really a home field advantage. It certainly hasn’t been for the A’s, as they have started off their series 0-2 in Detroit despite having said advantage, theoretically speaking.
Jonny Gomes put a bit of a point on that yesterday when he spoke with Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle:
Gomes said the A’s 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. buses to the ballpark Sunday felt like 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. for the West Coast team. “It’s tough to call that a home-field advantage,” he said. …
Well, I guess that does kinda stink. And given that, aside from this year’s schedule, which was necessitated by a compressed playoff calendar, baseball has generally abandoned the 2-3 structure, it seems that no one really agrees that 2-3 advantages the higher-seeded team. Also mitigating against any advantage in a 2-3 is the fact that, over the course of baseball history, winners of Game 1 in any series have a pronounced edge.
That said, outside of the Oakland-Tigers tilt, the higher-seeded teams in these division series are 4-0 so far, so I don’t think Gomes is gonna get too many people to join his pity party.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)