Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
If you think that firing Bobby Valentine is the only thing that’s gonna go down in Boston this offseason, you got another think coming, says Red Sox President Larry Lucchino:
“We do think that there are some things that need to be done besides this. This is not the only change that’s going to made this offseason. There are myriad changes that will be made. We’ve begun with the megatrade with the Dodgers, with the addition of Jason Varitek, with the supplement to our evaluation process with Eddie Bane, now with the managerial change, there’ll be some coaching changes. There will be a host of changes. And there will be some new personnel.”
He may have a habit of throwing people under the bus and he may have forced Bobby Valentine on Red Sox Nation in the first place, but you gotta love a guy who not only uses the word “myriad,” but who uses it without the superfluous “of” after it. Nice one, Larry.
As for what those changes are? Heck, who knows? The free agent market is not full of game changers and the Sox don’t appear to have the pieces already in place to seriously compete. But hey, the team president is well-spoken.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 44
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 20
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)