Oct 8, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Orioles got out of it. Darren O’Day struck out Alex Rodriguez swinging for the second out before Buck Showalter made another change, this time bringing in Brian Matusz. The southpaw issued an intentional walk to Robinson Cano before getting Nick Swisher to fly out to left field to end the inning. The Orioles lead 3-2 as we move to the bottom of the seventh in Baltimore.
11:07 PM: That extra breathing room didn’t last long. Eduardo Nunez led off the top of the seventh with a double before Derek Jeter brought him home with a single to cut the Orioles’ lead to 3-2. Wei-Yin Chen got Ichiro to ground into a fielder’s choice before Orioles manager Buck Showalter brought the hook.
Chen was given a standing ovation from the Camden Yards faithful as he walked off the field. Darren O’Day is in to face Alex Rodriguez with one out and a runner on first.
10:56 PM ET: The Orioles have a little breathing room over the Yankees.
Matt Wieters led off the bottom of the sixth with a double to right-center before Mark Reynolds brought him home with an opposite field single to push the Orioles’ lead to 3-1. Andy Pettitte was able to strike out Jim Thome and get Manny Machado to hit into a double play to escape any further damage.
Wei-Yin Chen is still in there for the Orioles. He has allowed six hits and a walk while striking out three. Chen wiggled out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth and sat down the Yankees on four pitches in the fifth before working around an error by J.J. Hardy with two outs in the sixth. Pretty impressive for his first career playoff start.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 35
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 43
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 65
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims