Oct 8, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
We noted yesterday that Matt Kemp‘s shoulder surgery was a success — all surgery on athletes is a success — but the post-op news from L.A. is not all good. Dylan Hernandez of The Los Angeles Times reports that Kemp’s shoulder was more damaged than first thought, and there is a chance that he will not be at full-strength to start the 2013 season:
He and the Dodgers were hoping the damage would be relatively minor and require nothing more than a cleanup, but Dr. Neal ElAttrache decided the labrum had to be repaired — that is, reattached to the socket.
While the team’s statement said he’d be good to go come spring, Hernandez notes that Adrian Gonzalez had that same surgery in October 2010 and that he was limited to 11 spring training games in 2011 and started off slowly, power wise, that season. The good news, of course, is that he ended up being OK as the season wore on.
No sense in worrying too much about Kemp now, but keep that all in your back pocket for when February rolls around.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)