Oct 8, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
I just watched the press conference introducing Terry Francona as the Indians’ new manager and there were a few interesting tidbits.
• Francona signed a four-year contract that runs through 2016 and said negotiations were very easy, which is noteworthy because some initial speculation wondered if he might be out of the Indians’ price range.
• Of course, after general manager Chris Antonetti gave him a very complimentary introduction Francona joked: “After that introduction, I don’t think I got enough money.”
• Francona’s father, Tito Francona was there. Tito played for the Indians from 1959-1964, making an All-Star team one year and finishing top-five in the MVP voting another year, and Terry explained that he “cried a little bit” when telling his father he was taking the job.
• Francona admitted that he “was showing some wear and tear” near the end of his time with the Red Sox, but assured everyone that he’s “fully committed” to the Indians and “didn’t come here to go to pasture.”
• On the roster that has fallen apart in the second half of back-to-back seasons, Francona said: “Every player starts with a clean slate.” Sort of fitting, considering Francona is basically doing the same by coming to Cleveland.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)