Oct 8, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
I just watched the press conference introducing Terry Francona as the Indians’ new manager and there were a few interesting tidbits.
• Francona signed a four-year contract that runs through 2016 and said negotiations were very easy, which is noteworthy because some initial speculation wondered if he might be out of the Indians’ price range.
• Of course, after general manager Chris Antonetti gave him a very complimentary introduction Francona joked: “After that introduction, I don’t think I got enough money.”
• Francona’s father, Tito Francona was there. Tito played for the Indians from 1959-1964, making an All-Star team one year and finishing top-five in the MVP voting another year, and Terry explained that he “cried a little bit” when telling his father he was taking the job.
• Francona admitted that he “was showing some wear and tear” near the end of his time with the Red Sox, but assured everyone that he’s “fully committed” to the Indians and “didn’t come here to go to pasture.”
• On the roster that has fallen apart in the second half of back-to-back seasons, Francona said: “Every player starts with a clean slate.” Sort of fitting, considering Francona is basically doing the same by coming to Cleveland.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)