Terry Francona introduced as Indians manager, says he “didn’t come here to go to pasture”

Oct 8, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

terry francona indians

I just watched the press conference introducing Terry Francona as the Indians’ new manager and there were a few interesting tidbits.

• Francona signed a four-year contract that runs through 2016 and said negotiations were very easy, which is noteworthy because some initial speculation wondered if he might be out of the Indians’ price range.

• Of course, after general manager Chris Antonetti gave him a very complimentary introduction Francona joked: “After that introduction, I don’t think I got enough money.”

• Francona’s father, Tito Francona was there. Tito played for the Indians from 1959-1964, making an All-Star team one year and finishing top-five in the MVP voting another year, and Terry explained that he “cried a little bit” when telling his father he was taking the job.

• Francona admitted that he “was showing some wear and tear” near the end of his time with the Red Sox, but assured everyone that he’s “fully committed” to the Indians and “didn’t come here to go to pasture.”

• On the roster that has fallen apart in the second half of back-to-back seasons, Francona said: “Every player starts with a clean slate.” Sort of fitting, considering Francona is basically doing the same by coming to Cleveland.

1. chill1184 - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

If he leads the Indians to the playoffs, more power to him

2. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Very happy for Francona to be managing again, I enjoyed his analysis on TV a lot as I found him very insightful and a refreshing presence. I think most of us can agree he best belongs in a MLB dugout.

3. willclarkgameface - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Francona is a good dude. The Red Sox will miss him greatly when he is leading the Indians to a better record than the Red Sox in the next 3 years.

Bank on it.

4. dondada10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“I wish my team had signed Terry Francona to managed.”

Signed,
    The Mets,
    Rockies,
    Marlins,
    Blue Jays,
    and the Boston Red Sox.

5. randygnyc - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Class act. I wish him the best. Ownership doesn’t deserve him but hopefully they’ll spend more money on talent now.

6. giantssb42champs - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

While I’m not a Red Sox fan, it was always hard not to like this guy even when he was managing a bunch of prima donnas.

7. poprox13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hate to see him in anything other than a Red Sox uniform. Best of Luck Terry!!

• sandpiperair - Oct 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

We rarely saw him in a Red Sox uniform– just ask Bob Watson!

8. geoknows - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it, but do we have any idea what the Indians are paying him?

9. deathmonkey41 - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Was there any word on whether or not Derek Jeter was in the bathroom while this press conference was going on?

10. 12strikes - Oct 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

And in related news…. Budweiser and KFC become office sponsors for the Indians.

• bloodysock - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Terrible post. It was Popeye’s! ;-)

11. jesse1834 - Oct 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Hope the Dolans will open the check book for him.

12. theghostofberniekosar - Oct 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I grew up in Cleveland and have been a life-long Tribe fan, but this just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Francona is a great coach. This is probably the best possible hire the team could’ve made. But it just seems like…why bother? It’s not like Dolan is going to pay for any quality players. Choo will be gone before opening day; Perez is as good as gone. The minors are completely depleted.

Shapiro/Antonetti are setting him up to fail, and he will. He might squeeze five more wins out of the same team that Acta would have, but so what? They finish with 75 wins instead of 70? Big deal.

I like Francona too much for this to happen to him. Dolan should’ve done everyone a favor and hired Alomar. He probably would’ve been cheaper, anyway. It’s not like this team will make the playoffs in the next five years [barring a sale of the team].

• jayscarpa - Oct 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I think Oakland’s payroll is less than the Indians in 2012. So is Tampa for that matter. If you have smart baseball people and a little luck you can get by without a ton of money.

• theghostofberniekosar - Oct 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Agreed. Also agree that Oakland and Tampa have “smart baseball people”.

We have Dolan, Antonetti, and Shapiro.

13. Kevin Gillman - Oct 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The one thing that was awesome about this was seeing Terry’s father Tito at the press conference. He is beaming with pride, because he in his heart was always a Cleveland Indian. Terry played in Cleveland too, in 1988, he served as another former Indian Buddy Bell’s staff in Detroit. Terry had known Mark Shapiro for over 12 years, when terry was let go in Philly, Cleveland gave him a job in 2001 as a special advisor. There is alot of respect, and I can see the video of Tito beaming with a huge smile about this day over and over. Now, I hope the Indians can go out and sign Mike Napoli and Edwin Jackson. But we’ll see, for today, it is awesome.

14. pellypell - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I’m rooting for you Francoma.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5207)