That’s some clown makeup, bro

Oct 8, 2012, 5:03 PM EST

It’s really sunny in St. Louis today. Like, blindingly so. But don’t worry, folks, because Bryce Harper‘s got his:

source:

That’s gotta be the second most offensive eyeblack of the season. And even Yunel Escobar is probably watching this on TV and saying “damn.”

We laugh, but when he’s the only one who isn’t blinded by virtue of MLB’s decision to start a game in St. Louis at 3:30 local time, we’ll nod our heads with respect at the kid’s wisdom.

1. ss - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Look, if I could hit a ball so hard it made people defecate themselves then I’d smear it on my face too.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

The eyeblack or the poo?

2. illadelphiasphinest - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM

He just K’d. Maybe he should put some more on.

3. Tim's Neighbor - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Maybe he’s wearing face paint like WWE in honor of the WWE refs that umpired the Cards’ play-in game?

Not that I’m still bitter.

4. aiede - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Why so serious?

5. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I’ve seen him wear it like that before, maybe not in the Big’s though. And that stupid lame ass quote comes back to haunt us again.

6. dondada10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM

John Randall, defensive end of the Vikings in the 90’s, made that popular. The NFL started fining him for it, but Randall would still break it out for big games.

• albertmn - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You are right, except that it is Randle, not Randall. But, that’s okay. It’s not like you were on a computer connected to the internet that could have corrected that in 12 seconds, so no biggie.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM

That’s ok albertmn. It’s not like your such a tight-ass, no life drone that you would actually take such offense at an incorrectly spelled last name that you would take the time to write post full of such anger. Don’t worry about it. No biggie.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Are you serious Albert?

• cosanostra71 - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

was gonna say, I see this in football all the time.

7. randygnyc - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Someone didn’t like it. Before taking the field in the 4th, it was gone.(no, not the sun)

• albertmn - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Maybe someone on his team told his it looks silly, especially when the Cards are taking it to them today. Save the showboating for a game you are competing in, not getting blown out.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Hey albertmn. You wrote “his” instead of using the correct word which would have been “him”. That’s amazing when considering the post you wrote above when someone incorrectly spelled a players last name. Don’t you have access to the internet?

8. schmedley69 - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Looks like Jayson Werth could use some too. He’s apparently having trouble picking up the ball when he’s batting. That’s a clown contract, bro!

• adenzeno - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

They were and are wrong-it makes them look like kids who WANT to look like bad asses, but instead look like caricatures….but what is youth for if not to do stupid stuff and look back and go “Wow, WHAT was I thinking…”

9. sneschalmers - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM

The way he’s wearing his eye black is really popular among college and high school players. It’s been a few years since I was in college, but the reason some of my teammates did it was because they thought it looked bad ass.

• adenzeno - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Oops, I replied to the wrong guy… WHAT was I thinking??

• sneschalmers - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Well, aren’t you an adorable internet tough guy. I never said that I wore my eye black like that or that I even thought much of it. I was simply explaining the rationale for Harper’s style of eye black because people in this thread have asked about it.

10. jea1978 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM

That’s usual for him Craig. Way to pay attention. I wish I could also get paid to be a professional baseball blogger that doesn’t pay attention to baseball.

11. JB (the original) - Oct 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Guess he should have left it on… He must have been blinded on that liner to left that he thought he could take 3rd on…..

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester