Oct 8, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
People like me (i.e. fans of the team that lost the wild card playoff) can whine all we want about how baseball is poorly-suited for a one-game playoff, but it’s pretty academic when Major League Baseball issues press releases like this:
Through its first two days of coverage, TBS is averaging 3.9 million viewers, up +26% over last year’s first two days of Postseason coverage. The two Wild Card Games averaged more than 4.6 million viewers, up +61% over last year’s first day of coverage and also exceeded the average 4.2 million viewers for the entire 19-game 2011 Division Series.
I’m assuming there won’t be too much crowing about the third day of the playoffs in which the first two games were opposite afternoon NFL action and the Yankees game — likely slotted at 6PM to avoid going head-to-head against Sunday Night Football — was forced to go head-to-head against Sunday night football thanks to the rain delay.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)