Oct 8, 2012, 9:10 PM EST
They’ll call it “The Ichiro Shuffle.”
The Yankees struck first tonight in Game 2 of the ALDS against the Orioles. Derek Jeter led off the game with a single and Ichiro Suzuki reached on an error before Robert Andino made an excellent diving catch off a hard-hit ball of the bat of Alex Rodriguez. Andino then flipped it to J.J. Hardy at second base to double off Jeter. If Ichiro wasn’t alert enough to stay at first, it’s possible it could have been a triple play.
Wei-Yin Chen had a chance to get out of the inning with no damage, but Robinson Cano smacked one into the right-field corner. It appeared that Ichiro would be held up at third base, but he ended up getting sent home by third base coach Rob Thomson. He was going to be out by a mile, but managed to do some pretty nifty footwork to avoid the tag by Matt Wieters before diving and touching home plate to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead. Any description won’t do it justice, so we’ll have to wait for the video. Truly classic stuff.
Andy Pettitte sat the Orioles down in order in the bottom of the first inning, so it’s 1-0 Yankees as we move to the second in Baltimore.
UPDATE: Ah yes, the video. The glorious video:
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)