Oct 9, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 3 of the ALDS between the Tigers and A’s, in Oakland:
DETROIT TIGERS OAKLAND A'S 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Coco Crisp, CF 2. Omar Infante, 2B 2. Stephen Drew, SS 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 3. Yoenis Cespedes, LF 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Brandon Moss, 1B 5. Delmon Young, DH 5. Josh Reddick, RF 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 6. Josh Donaldson, 3B 7. Andy Dirks, LF 7. Seth Smith, DH 8. Avisail Garcia, RF 8. Derek Norris, C 9. Gerald Laird, C 9. Cliff Pennington, 2B SP Anibal Sanchez, RHP SP Brett Anderson, LHP
Detroit is using all right-handed starting pitchers this series, which means Oakland is going with the left-handed-hitting half of manager Bob Melvin’s various platoons. Except for at catcher, where Derek Norris is back in the lineup after giving way to George Kottaras in Game 2.
Jim Leyland doesn’t platoon quite as much, but for the second straight game he’s going with the right-handed-hitting Gerald Laird behind the plate instead of the left-handed-hitting Alex Avila because the A’s are using a southpaw starter. And that southpaw starter, Brett Anderson, is pitching for the first time since injuring his oblique on September 19.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)