Oct 9, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 3 of the ALDS between the Tigers and A’s, in Oakland:
DETROIT TIGERS OAKLAND A'S 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Coco Crisp, CF 2. Omar Infante, 2B 2. Stephen Drew, SS 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 3. Yoenis Cespedes, LF 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Brandon Moss, 1B 5. Delmon Young, DH 5. Josh Reddick, RF 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 6. Josh Donaldson, 3B 7. Andy Dirks, LF 7. Seth Smith, DH 8. Avisail Garcia, RF 8. Derek Norris, C 9. Gerald Laird, C 9. Cliff Pennington, 2B SP Anibal Sanchez, RHP SP Brett Anderson, LHP
Detroit is using all right-handed starting pitchers this series, which means Oakland is going with the left-handed-hitting half of manager Bob Melvin’s various platoons. Except for at catcher, where Derek Norris is back in the lineup after giving way to George Kottaras in Game 2.
Jim Leyland doesn’t platoon quite as much, but for the second straight game he’s going with the right-handed-hitting Gerald Laird behind the plate instead of the left-handed-hitting Alex Avila because the A’s are using a southpaw starter. And that southpaw starter, Brett Anderson, is pitching for the first time since injuring his oblique on September 19.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)