Oct 9, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Ortiz will be in a walking boot for the next 7-10 days and will be sidelined for a total of 4-6 weeks.
That gives him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, certainly, but between that and missing nearly the entire second half Ortiz isn’t exactly an ideal candidate for the multi-year contract he’s seeking.
“I did it just to make sure,” Ortiz said. “I talked to so many people that had it done, so I wanted to be sure. They said they were sore after doing it, but I wasn’t sore at all.”
Ortiz topped a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, but also failed to play 100 games for the first time since 2001 and was in the lineup for just one of the Red Sox’s final 72 games.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)