Oct 9, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Ortiz will be in a walking boot for the next 7-10 days and will be sidelined for a total of 4-6 weeks.
That gives him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, certainly, but between that and missing nearly the entire second half Ortiz isn’t exactly an ideal candidate for the multi-year contract he’s seeking.
“I did it just to make sure,” Ortiz said. “I talked to so many people that had it done, so I wanted to be sure. They said they were sore after doing it, but I wasn’t sore at all.”
Ortiz topped a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, but also failed to play 100 games for the first time since 2001 and was in the lineup for just one of the Red Sox’s final 72 games.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?