Oct 9, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Ortiz will be in a walking boot for the next 7-10 days and will be sidelined for a total of 4-6 weeks.
That gives him plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, certainly, but between that and missing nearly the entire second half Ortiz isn’t exactly an ideal candidate for the multi-year contract he’s seeking.
“I did it just to make sure,” Ortiz said. “I talked to so many people that had it done, so I wanted to be sure. They said they were sore after doing it, but I wasn’t sore at all.”
Ortiz topped a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, but also failed to play 100 games for the first time since 2001 and was in the lineup for just one of the Red Sox’s final 72 games.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)