Oct 9, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
A little bit of small ball has given the Giants life.
After Gregor Blanco took a pitch off his shoulder and Brandon Crawford walked, Ryan Vogelsong laid down a sacrifice bunt that put two runners in scoring position with one out. Angel Pagan then launched a sacrifice fly to deep center field, pushing the Giants into a 1-1 tie with the Reds in the top of the third of this NLDS Game 3. Marco Scutaro hit into a groundout to end the productive frame.
Vogelsong is already up to 68 pitches, though, and the Giants have begun warming some arms in the visitors bullpen.
The fourth inning is about to get underway at Great American Ball Park in southwest Ohio.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)